Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PC 7518 collet is junk, I replaced it with a Precision Collet and what a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. I have 4 PC routers with the same 1/2" collet. I have never had one stick.
    In my reply to Larry I told him that I found the problem with the collet, the snap ring is the wrong one, it is just to small. Once I took the snap ring off the bit goes in an out just fine, but that would be a problem getting the collet out of the shaft, I guess I could get the correct size snap ring but then I like the new one so much that I will just keep it and store the other one in the large round file cabinet.

Here is some picture of the new collet in use, you would not need an offset spanner wrench unless the collet would not come above the table top. You may still need the offset wrench for the lower nut but not the top.
    Note that in the second picture the spanner wrench is still on even with the router raised above the table top, that is kind of nice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I was thinking about that problem last night[insomnia]and pulling the C-Clip was going to be my next suggestion. Most of mine have the C-Clip removed anyway so they are easier to clean. I just give the nut a gentle tap when loosened and they come loose. If one is stuck and will not come loose with a tap something needs some attention.

Glad you figured it out Bill.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I was thinking about that problem last night[insomnia]and pulling the C-Clip was going to be my next suggestion. Most of mine have the C-Clip removed anyway so they are easier to clean. I just give the nut a gentle tap when loosened and they come loose. If one is stuck and will not come loose with a tap something needs some attention.

Glad you figured it out Bill.

Larry
    Just so I know we are talking about the same thing, my collet had a snap-ring on it not a C-Clip, that my be the problem in that they put the wrong thing on my collet.

The first image is what I had, a snap-ring, the second image is a C-Clip or sometimes called E-ring.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. I also replaced my PC7518 collect with the Precision Collet. The stock PC collet has horrible run-out. I tried a replacement from PC and it was even worse!

You don't really notice the run-out problem with small or short bits. But when your bits are tall and heavy, it can become very obvious. I have a 2x2" straight bit with bearing from Freud that is simply unusable with the stock PC collet. The router and table vibrates so much the screws will loosed and the router will fall out of the table. Trying a second stock PC collet did not help, it was actually even worse!
    After I got the Precision Collet it is now very smooth. Cuts are noticeably smoother and cleaner with all bits. It was money very well spent.

If you doubt your stock PC collect has unbelievably bad runout, put a tall bit with a bearing on top into it and watch the top bearing as it coasts to a stop.

Chris

With thirty routers I would have to drop $2100 on collets! Then I would need a couple of 1/4"......

Bill, you have the right term, I had a brain freeze.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    With thirty routers I would have to drop $2100 on collets! Then I would need a couple of 1/4"......

Bill, you have the right term, I had a brain freeze.

Larry
    Just $2100, it would pay for itself in 45 or 50 years......

When I would at Xerox we called C-Clips, Jesus clips.......