Thread: what was for a planer bed

what was for a planer bed

Im setting up a new planer and not sure what to use on the bed. I use that top coat spray on my table saw and put it on the bed for my planer but I don't like the result on my planer bed. Was thinking of just grabbing some turtle wax. What do you guys use on your machines?

Johnson's Paste Wax. I would not recommend using turtle wax, there are components in automotive type waxes that can cause problems with your finishes.

Thanks for the quick reply Ill grab some today.

Turtle wax or any automotive wax likely has silicone in it. Silicone can wreak havoc come finishing time.
    Johnson's paste wax is safe to use.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Butcher's Bowling Alley was is harder then Johnson's, and what I've used on my machine tables/beds for a couple of decades now. It buffs up much nicer on furniture, too.

Thanks Guys, John where did you get the Butcher's ?? I grabbed some Johnson's so I could buff it out tonight. But hey Im not married to the stuff (yet)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sikorski View Post
    Thanks Guys, John where did you get the Butcher's ?? I grabbed some Johnson's so I could buff it out tonight. But hey Im not married to the stuff (yet)
    I bought it at the Niagara Falls HD. I suspect you can find it pretty easily in Buffalo. If not, come on up to NF; be happy to show you my shop (in Lewiston) if you have an interest.

John