Thread: New Shop DC Setup

New Shop DC Setup

I'm planning my DC setup for my new shop and I'm looking for some input on a few things. I currently have a Delta 50-850 1.5HP collector, and I will be using a pre-separator on a trash can. Eventually I will be upgading to a cyclone, but that is not in the current budget. The DC has dual 4" ports, should I replace this with a single larger port? Was going to run 4 inch pipe to all of my machines, with blast gates at each machine. Should I go with 6" and then reduce at each machine? Trying to keep all of my runs under 16' or so. I will have a TS, shaper, planer, moulder, drum sander, and chop saw tied in to the DC.

My ducting runs for the most part will be under the floor, I plan on buying the pipe at Home Depot, what is the minimum gauge to avoid collapse of lines (26 gauge?). Is a galvanized pipe sufficient for exposure to the elements, or should I go with stainless?

Thanks!

rather than using metal ducting, try plastic drain pipe, the stuff used for landscaping water runoff (not sched 40 DWV stuff). it's much cheaper than metal (i don;t even want to think about SS!) and there is a transition piece (at the HD) that converts the 4" drainage pipe to 3" sched 40, and that sched 40 end accepts 4" dust collector hose really well.

like you, i have a 50-850. if i had a choice, i'd run 6" trunks and reduce to 4" as close to each machine"s blast gate as i could. as you plan your system, have you seen alan's video on his ultimate dust collector system set up? if not, check it out:

http://videos.americanwoodworker.com...ust-Collection

the transitioin pieces i mentioned above do what alan's cut off bell ends do regarding attaching the machine to the blast gate. and if i may suggest one enhancement to your DC that will help maintain airflow by keeping any filter (bag or cannister) cleaner longer.

add a baffle to your DC. i did it with a discarded 16" frying pan (apparently almost anything that's pan/dome shaped will do)and the improvement in the performance of the DC was stunning (what works quite well also is making a thien baffle and setting it in the DC drum, in the same place i placed my inverted frying pan):

http://lumberjocks.com/topics/40189

good luck with your project. i'd be really interested in how you connect 6" anything to the 50-850. i'm not aware of any fitting that will bolt onto the blower housing and accomodate 6" piping.

Thanks Joe. The only reason I was hesitant to use PVC was due to static electricity and risk of fire. But apparently many people are going this route, so it must be safe if grounded properly?

Blog Entries
    You get static even if you use metal. I have 26g on my DC in main shop, dropping to machines, and I use 10" pc of flex with metal wire to connect several of the machines. Still get static shock if I use by hand. PVC does give you more flexibility on fittings, but I'd use regular sch 40 rather than waste pipe.