Thread: DC Layout Question

DC Layout Question

I'm placing my 2 hp DC on the first floor of my shop and using 6" pvc for the runs. I need to basically "T" off the drop leading to the collector and then running 8' to the south and 14' to the north with two elbows. Will a "Y' that leads to a less aggressive elbow work to make the "T" into the better curve and reduce friction?
    Teaching grandchildren the hobby is rewarding. Most of the time

Yes, abrupt turns such as 90's cause more pressure drop (loss of suction) than gentle sweep turns.

And 90's plug much more easily.

I have zero 90 degree turns in my dust collector layout.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Bootleg wye is what you want. If you have room use a 2.5 radius ell on the main and 1.5 when you can't. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Bootleg wye is what you want. If you have room use a 2.5 radius ell on the main and 1.5 when you can't. Dave
    Make that pantleg. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Eyre View Post
    I have zero 90 degree turns in my dust collector layout.
    I just saw a picture of your duct layout on another thread. I count (7) 90 degree ells in the pic. Are you referring to tees instead of 90 degree elbows. Looks like a good layout and that you used laterals instead of tees.

Mike

If you look close at Gordon's pic, you will notice he has the large radius 90's. And he has Y's coming off the main trunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    If you look close at Gordon's pic, you will notice he has the large radius 90's. And he has Y's coming off the main trunk.
    Right, and if I understand his post correctly, he said he did not have a 90 degree turn in his layout. Btw, Y's are different from laterals. Different pressure drop and configuration. IRC, Gordon's layout may have had both. I thought it was a good layout, I just didn't get the comment about not having any 90s in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael W. Clark View Post
    Right, and if I understand his post correctly, he said he did not have a 90 degree turn in his layout. Btw, Y's are different from laterals. Different pressure drop and configuration. IRC, Gordon's layout may have had both. I thought it was a good layout, I just didn't get the comment about not having any 90s in it?
    I guess I should have been clearer. I meant to say that I used large radius turns which I would not call a 90 degree turn.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Gordon,
    I see what you are saying. Elbows are usually named by the angle that that they change the ducting or fluid stream components. For example, you can have a 90 ell that is mitered, 0" turning radius (which is what I think you are calling a 90 degree turn) up to a 90 ell with a 48" turning radius and some even larger. The 48" radius sweep elbows are popular in pnuematic conveying systems. DC systems typically use elbows with a 1.5D to 2.5D radius. For example, a 2.5D 90ell in 4" duct would have a turning radius of 10". This is probably what you mean by "large radius" turns but they are still a 90 degree elbow, just with a larger radius. A 2.5D 45 ell would have the same radius, but only turn the duct 45 degrees and would have half the loss of the 90 ell (because you are only turning half the amount). Btw, I thought your system looked good in your post on the other thread.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Michael W. Clark View Post
    Gordon,
    I see what you are saying. Elbows are usually named by the angle that that they change the ducting or fluid stream components. For example, you can have a 90 ell that is mitered, 0" turning radius (which is what I think you are calling a 90 degree turn) up to a 90 ell with a 48" turning radius and some even larger. The 48" radius sweep elbows are popular in pnuematic conveying systems. DC systems typically use elbows with a 1.5D to 2.5D radius. For example, a 2.5D 90ell in 4" duct would have a turning radius of 10". This is probably what you mean by "large radius" turns but they are still a 90 degree elbow, just with a larger radius. A 2.5D 45 ell would have the same radius, but only turn the duct 45 degrees and would have half the loss of the 90 ell (because you are only turning half the amount). Btw, I thought your system looked good in your post on the other thread.

Mike
    Thanks Mike, it works well and helps me keep my shop clean. I put it in all by myself and rivited every joint.
    Best Regards,

Gordon