Thread: Help with bed doggie stairs

Help with bed doggie stairs

I want to make this for Diamond our small heinz 57, but I am stumped on what to do to next.
    I was thinking about cutting some slots with dowels on the inside, this way I could pull them out as needed, and then put them back in for storage. The problem being I am not sure what angle to cut the slots at so each step will sit flush on the floor.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    doggie-stairs.jpg

I added the Sketchup file in a zip format because it exceeded the 97kb file size

doggie_steps_2.zip
    Thank you; Floyd
    Last edited by Floyd Cox; 10-02-2012 at 2:57 AM.

Floyd,

This can be worked out fairly easily in SketchUp. I've got it mostly worked out for you but I have to go deal with something else for a little bit. I'll try to get it to you soon.

David, thank you so much.

Floyd

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    Floyd,

This can be worked out fairly easily in SketchUp. I've got it mostly worked out for you but I have to go deal with something else for a little bit. I'll try to get it to you soon.

So here's a preliminary image. You can't really do a straight slope or the back corners at least for the middle step or the legs will collide with the bottom of the top step. Without changing that step, I came up with a track for a single pin--you can see it in the side of the top step laid down in front. The same track would be used on the inside face of the middle step leg, too. That's just to make it easy to set up. I probably exaggerated the verticals on the track a little bit.

So to open the thing up, you would lift up the middle step a little bit with the bottom step still inside it, slide it out and set it down on the floor. Then repeat the process for the lower step. Reverse it to collapse things back down.

Floyd, you're welcome. I've sent you the SKP file for this.

Cheers,

Dave