Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Those yellow eBay router bits

Those yellow eBay router bits

I needed some Keller-compatible router bits for thinner stock, and found a set of bits on eBay. I had seen bits from this seller before, they're yellow and the selection and prices are good.

The feedback looked generally positive, so I figured I'd take a chance.

When the bits arrived I found that one of the straight bits (the one I really wanted to use) had a shaft that was well over 1/2" shorter than the others. The shaft was too short to fully engage the collet.

So I figured I'd do a little checking with my calipers and found that the cutting diameters of the straight bits was greater than the diameter of the bearings. While the bearings were the .625" you'd expect, one bit's cutting diameter was .627" and the other was .628". So these bits, if used with the Keller jig, would actually cut into the jig itself. BTW, the cutting diameter of the original Keller-supplied bit was .620".

When I went to return them I noticed that the seller had over 22 revised feedbacks. When I left negative feedback and a comment that the bits will damage the jig, he E-Mailed me an offer to refund my shipping fees if I revised the feedback. When I declined, he started the insults.

Nonetheless, a template bit should probably never cut wider than the pilot.

My advice would be to avoid these bits. If you are going to try them, make sure you check the bits before you use them to avoid damaging your expensive jigs.

I actually found some bits from Amana that are priced right and on the way. I've had good luck with Amana stuff.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's good to know Phil.

....Just one of the several reasons I tend to not recommend off-name router bits. I've been present in a shop when a cheap Chinese bit shed a piece of carbide and embedded itself in a wall. That's a risk with any router bit, but is more likely on a poorly constructed bit than a good one.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Is the guy in IL? ghsu2ia3

I left him average feedback (after discovering my shipping gouge) and man he got mad at me too. I told him he earned the rating and to wear it or shape up his ebay practices.

The bit I got works well though - 1 3/4" surfacing bit and there are no name brand bits of that size even close for the money he charged - even with shipping.

He has almost 20000 feedback and almost 3000 this year with 4 negatives. Not bad for selling chinese router bits and tools
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I'm going to go measure some of my brand name bits tomorrow. I'm betting they are within similar tolerances.

When I worked for one company they bought a set of Grizzly bits that exploded as soon as you started the router. Didn't cut any wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Is the guy in IL? ghsu2ia3

I left him average feedback (after discovering my shipping gouge) and man he got mad at me too. I told him he earned the rating and to wear it or shape up his ebay practices.

The bit I got works well though - 1 3/4" surfacing bit and there are no name brand bits of that size even close for the money he charged - even with shipping.

He has almost 20000 feedback and almost 3000 this year with 4 negatives. Not bad for selling chinese router bits and tools
    Yep.

I don't know about his other bits, but I would be suspicious of any bits he has with bearings.

If the bits with bearings aren't ground slightly (a few thousands of an inch) smaller than the bearing, you will likely cut into your template slightly when you use the bit. And the bits should never be a few thousandths LARGER than the bearing (like the ones he shipped me). When you add runout on the motor, you could end up with a bit cutting noticeably beyond the bearing.

This is no big deal if you never need to change your depth of cut with that template, I guess. But if you need to change your depth of cut, then the bearing may ride on the part of the template that was previously cut (and maybe even cut into the template further).

Maybe he just takes 5/8" straight bits and sticks bearings and collars on them and ships those, thinking it is the same as what is supplied by Keller and others. He did seem to have problems grasping the concept that the cutting diameter of the bit cannot exceed the diameter of the bearing.

I tried one of the dovetail bits included in the set and found it to be rather dull compared to even the used Keller-supplied bit I have.

So I'd rate these bits as pretty much bottom of the barrel. But these are all just my humble opinions.
    Last edited by Phil Thien; 10-02-2012 at 8:36 AM.

Phil, what did you pay for that set?
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Blog Entries
    Good feedback. There are bargains on bits now and then but the 'now' is way overshadowed by the 'then'. I pick up Rockler and Woodcraft bits when they are blowing them out for a few bucks. This doesn't help when you need matched sets . For the most part; Whiteside, Freud, and Amana have proven faultless and well supported; Whiteside sharpens their own bits for a few bucks each. Really makes the price reasonable when you do the math on some of these brands.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    Phil, what did you pay for that set?
    $44 including shipping for five bits (I think a box joint bit was included but I didn't really even want that).

The Amana bits come to $64 including shipping for four bits (no box joint jig).

Had the yellow bits worked, they would be a bargain. But given their parameters, they aren't even worth $10. I wouldn't even use them for any sort of template work.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Good feedback. There are bargains on bits now and then but the 'now' is way overshadowed by the 'then'. I pick up Rockler and Woodcraft bits when they are blowing them out for a few bucks. This doesn't help when you need matched sets . For the most part; Whiteside, Freud, and Amana have proven faultless and well supported; Whiteside sharpens their own bits for a few bucks each. Really makes the price reasonable when you do the math on some of these brands.
    I was surprised that Whiteside doesn't offer a smaller dovetail bit that will work with the Keller jig. That is where I looked first given my outstanding luck with their bits.

I was thrilled when I found Amana DOES make bits, though. And at a reasonable price. I've had great luck w/ Amana.

The only problem with Amana is the lead-time. I was able to get those yellow bits the day after I ordered them. The Amana bits will take probably a week or so. One or two of them were out of stock and had to be ordered by the dealer.

I ordered the Amana bits from Routerbitworld.com. They offer pretty cut-throat pricing, and $1 USPS shipping on orders. So I'm hoping they will become a good supplier to handle things when Brian from Holbren doesn't have a Whiteside bit I need.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    $44 including shipping for five bits (I think a box joint bit was included but I didn't really even want that).

The Amana bits come to $64 including shipping for four bits (no box joint jig).

Had the yellow bits worked, they would be a bargain. But given their parameters, they aren't even worth $10. I wouldn't even use them for any sort of template work.
    Thats good to know, thanks for posting. I purchased an "inexpensive" set a few years ago, there was a reason for the price, I guess. I still get tempted from time-to-time with the mindset "would be nice to have for the occasional job". Then I read posts like this and remember why.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

I thought I had lost this picture, but I found it.

Attached is a picture showing the shorter shaft on the straight bit I needed to use for thinner stock. I guess with the cutting diameter being larger than the bearing it didn't matter anyhow (because I wasn't about the ruin my jig), but with such a short shaft you can't get enough in the collet and still raise the bit enough to engage the stock. Safety becomes the concern.

So two major errors make a single bit unusable. Not good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Whiteside does make them.

www.carbideprocessors.com search for Keller

Keller Dovetail Router Bit, 7deg Angle, 1/4 Shank, Whiteside K31 $37.80 $30.24

Keller Dovetail Router Bit, 7deg Angle, 1/4 Shank, Whiteside K33 $38.88 $31.10
    Keller Dovetail Router Bit, 7deg Angle, 3/8 Shank, Whiteside K35 $49.68 $39.74
    Keller Dovetail Bit, 9/16 Dia, 3/4 Cut Length, 1/4 Shank, Whiteside 3032 $27.00 $21.60

First price is retail, second price is as low as Whiteside allows them to be sold.

If you call 800 346-8274 and talk to Whitney, she will be happy to help you.

P.S. We also have a Whiteside dovetail 6pc set for the Incra jig. #D101

Everything we sell comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee.

And, if you have a problem, you get to talk to a nice young lady.

Tom
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

Thanks Tom, I completely missed those.

When I wear through the Amana set I will refer back to this thread for those part #'s again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Walz View Post
    And, if you have a problem, you get to talk to a nice young lady.
    And I can attest to the fact that she works very very hard to fix the problem, even when I am the person that made the mistake. Just saying!