Thread: Dust collection piping ideas needed

Dust collection piping ideas needed

I took the plunge am in the process of installing a clearvue cyclone. It's being installed in the attic space above the garage. I am using 6 inch d2729 drain pipe for the duct work. I was looking for ideas to help with to connection to my tools. My shop is fairly mobile as its in one bay of a three car garage. The table saw is mostly in one place but if I have to cut large pieces I roll it out maybe 3 feet. The jointer/planer is rolled out to the second bay. The band saw is mostly in one place but again for larger work i roll it to the second bay. I also have a separate lunch box planer I sometimes set and a small lathe I put on top of my workbench. I was thinking i Would have 6 inch drops coming from the ceiling in roughly the spot I use the tools most that would end roughly 7 feet above the ground. I am looking for ideas on where to buy or how to make quick connects where I cold quickly connect 6 in flex tube to the ends of the PVC pipe when I am using the tools. I have seen some norfab steel quick connects for metal pipe but not sure if they would work with PVC. Any ideas would be really appreciated on how to incorporate a cyclone dust collector into a somewhat mobile shop without running a bunch of long flex pipe along the floor
    Last edited by Kev Coleman; 10-02-2012 at 10:36 AM.

My shop is a multi car garage and my tools need to be mobile as they get stored in one bay and are moved when shop time comes. I used 6" PVC and placed several drops strategically where I needed them. To connect my tools, I made a tree which can easily be moved into position. The footprint is quite small and allows for relatively easy storage when not in use. The down drops terminate about 79-80 inches above the floor. Blast gates are home made and there is a good enough dry-fit between the coupler and the pipe to act as a quick connect. I cut a straight coupler in half and inserted a short section of 6" flex which works well to connect to the drop. Initially, I used the bell end of the SD2729 pipe which also worked for the coupling, but the flex arrangement seems much stronger and easier to insert the flex into. Pics of the rest of the installation can be seen here:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/dmshops...ustCollection#

IMGP5279.JPG
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 10-02-2012 at 9:18 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

thats a huge help. I like the tree idea. I had some similar ideas but didn't think about the tree idea and was thinking about how to make it easier to connect and disconnect the hoses especially since my wife parks in the second bay. I saw you are in morgan hill. wondering where you got your pipe. i live in orinda and 6 inch sd pipe is not so easy to find around here

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Coleman View Post
    wondering where you got your pipe.

Ewing Irrigation stocks it. Find a friend who does landscaping work and get a discount as this stuff is getting pricey.......especially the couplers. Good luck
    Dick Mahany.