Thread: Escape from the Rectilinear

Escape from the Rectilinear

I've thought for several years about having fewer linear elements in my furniture and more curved or flowing forms, especially forms I could shape with handtools- spokeshaves, small planes, gouges. However there is one element of my previous furniture that I wanted to carry over to a new piece- triangular stretchers that I had used years ago in a cherry hall table:

The design I came up with has both the triangular stretchers and flowing hand-carved curves. Now that's its done I'm not sure how I feel about it. There are several things that bother me: 1) is it too symmetrical? 2) do the triangular pieces interfere with the lines of the curves? 3) should the top be different- thicker, thinner, tapered?

The frame is hard maple and the top is 1/2" plywood core with spalted maple inside edge glueings and spalted maple veneer on the top and bottom. I sawed the veneer myself of course. Edges are relieved with the traditional block plane chamfer. Tenons are pinned with walnut dowel.

The carved rails are attached to the 1.75" stiles with traditional M/T joints. The triangular stretchers grasp the rails with a modified slip joint.

When I look back on the design, I would probably take the lower single triangular stretcher out. Some sort of stretcher would still be needed to prevent splaying of the stiles. Perhaps the table is just too small for the amount of detail in the elements.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Here's my 2 cents (and offered with the best of intentions):

1. I agree with removing the bottom stretcher. maybe duplicate the front stile in side stiles.
    2. The top is too small in relation to the overall size and the member sizes of the frame.
    3. With the curves and triangles (which I think are great) the spalted material adds too many eye catchers and distracts from the curvilinear aspect of the design.

Beautiful table and I like the curves and triangles mixed.

What is it?

My 2 cents offered with humility: The flourishes at the ends of each rail are distracting for me. They interrupt the curves in a less desirable way (for me) than do the triangle stretchers - which I like.

Nice work! But since you asked, I think I'd like it better with nothing at the bottom--perhaps move the flourished pieces to the top on the sides to make an 'apron' for support. Perhaps the top might look better if it was larger. Nice use of wood, like it a lot.
    "Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves"-Albert Einstein

I think "what is it?" is a fair question which I glossed over. Originally I had wanted to build a tall open bookcase using these elements but I decided that was too complex for ideas I had never tried before. I needed a small low table in my music room to support the power amplifier between the speakers, something with visual interest supporting an otherwise plain black metal box in a prominent spot. So I decided to build this to see how things would fit together. Perhaps a 6' open bookcase would provide space foe the ideas to work.

I like the general idea of the piece but the triangles bother me. Everything else has an organic look and I think these triangles clash. I'd consider either a Reuleaux triangle for that shape or perhaps something along the lines of a leaf shape similar to this:

You might also shape it so it angles back toward the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Kotnik View Post
    ...low table in my music room to support the power amplifier between the speakers...
    Oh! Then I think the design as-is is completely appropriate. In my opinion the purpose for the furniture should be considered with the design. To display a power-amplifier in a listening room the table can (should!) be as eye-catching as possible. Well done!

-Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    I'd consider either a Reuleaux triangle for that shape or perhaps something along the lines of a leaf shape.
    I was thinking that the triangles needed softening somehow and your idea is exactly what I had in mind (I learned a new term too...LOL).

As for the top... I agree with others that said they thought it was too small. Plus, it's a rectangle. Actually it's a cube with beveled edge. The frame is so organic that I think the top should be as well. At least to some degree.

Also, maybe the top could be a little larger and elevated so that it was flush with the tops of the legs (or shorten the legs some).

I really love the frame, although perhaps the center rail could be replaced with one similar to the front & back rails on each end between the legs.

Wow... I feel awful critiquing it like this. Your work is beautiful, and I myself have never attempted something like this. You are to be commended on the concept, the curves, the workmanship, and the choice of materials.

Thumbs Up.jpg
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

If you study or stare a something long enough you will always find something you don't like.
    Put a finish on it, put your amp on it and post a picture.
    I think what it needs most of all is surroundings and something on it.
    Dark red walls look like crud until the room is decorated.
    I would like to see this after it is done. It has a lot going for it.
    The square metal box my bring some design aspects out on this table.
    Please post a finished picture with amp.
    Nice work. Don't give up on it.

BTW, a small colored mat or cloth under the amp my add appeal also. Some color this is in you sound room. Just to tie it all together.
    A green or blue or some color from a chair or pillow might work.
    Work with it, don't study it so much.
    Last edited by Dale Cruea; 10-04-2012 at 1:32 PM.

First off the creativity is outstanding. This is really a piece of art, not just a piece of furniture. I bet it will look great in its intended location. Great job.

Thanks everyone, I've gotten some really great insights from this discussion. I'm going to put it in its intended spot and see what I think of it in 6 months.

And photos will be on the way