Thread: PC pocket hole dust collection?

PC pocket hole dust collection?

I have a Porter Cable 552 pocket hole machine. It is a licensed copy of the small Castle machine, which on their website boasts of dust collection. The pictures don't show anything, and I would like to set something up on my PC.

Has anyone seen the small Castle in person, and know where the DC outlet is??

Has anyone put a DC setup on a 552?

I don't care to cut the steel case. I have considered closing in the bottom except for a slot along one side or the back funneled to a DC fitting. I have also considered taking the feet off the machine, making a stand, or a box to set it on incorporating DC. I thought I would ask before reinventing the wheel.

All ideas appreciated.

Rick Potter

2. solutions?

Rick,

I am in exactly the same situation as you were.

I have a new shop, and the 552 really throws out some dust. It appears that you did not get any replies on this site.

Did you come up with a solution you would please share with another lost soul?

Thanks,

David

Dear Lost Soul,

I have only two solutions, neither of which I have tried yet.

1: The obvious, cut a hole in the side of the metal cabinet and put on a plastic adapter. To do this you need to close up the bottom of the cabinet since it is wide open. I hesitate to cut the cabinet though.

2: Build a wooden box about 5" high, attach the cabinet on top, and put the hole in the box. This is the way I will probably go, but that will vary, depending on whether I decide to build a floor cabinet or set it on a bench. Of course, you need to remove the rubber feet to attach it to the box.

I think a variable opening on the opposite side would be good for either one of these solutions. This would help cool the motors.

You got a better idea?

Rick Potter

If its any help the floor model castle pocket hole machines have a 4" hole in the back left corner at the bottom. Your idea of building a small box to put under it sounds like a good solution instead of cutting up the machine.

5. I have now enclosed the bottom and installed a plastic hose adapter. It is a big improvement. However, when it first starts to cut the slot, it still throws out "some" dust at the start. Nothing like it was, but it is still coming out of the slot on top and is directed towards my face.

Is this common?

Thanks,

David

Thanks David,

I always wondered where that hole was. Couldn't find it on the Castle website.

Does the Castle have any sort of make up opening for air?

David....is your fitting 4" also? My machine does not spit any sawdust at me, it all goes to the bottom.

Rick P

I've got a Kreg "manual" pneumatic machine which I have installed on top of a metal office type cabinet someone gave me. I've had cutting a hole in that cabinet for DC on my list. It has enough holes in the cabinet for makeup air, I think, given the limited dust it makes (mostly chips.) I see no reason to go big either for the same reason.

From what I've seen of the PC, the same idea would work but I would guess those machines make more dust due to using the router for the pocket hole.

I boxed in my Kreg Foreman Db110 and have it mounted on the back of my JLT panel rack - 2 1/2" hose is mounted towards the back/ground (you also have to adjust angle of the oiler if you do this).

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.