Thread: Faceframe question

Question Faceframe question

I recently built 24' of cabinets for my shop to help with storage but also to teach myself how to do it. When I built the faceframes for the 2 sets of longest cabinets, 6' and 10', I made the top and bottom rails the length of the cabinets and cut the stiles to fit inbetween. When I went back to relook the Sommerfeld video, his faceframes had the stiles being the height of the cabinet and the rails being cut to fit inbetween. I know there is no right or wrong, but is there a general preference to one way or the other? Or are there any advantages or disadvantages to either method?

Thanks,

Jim

The "normal" way is for the rails to run into the sides of the stiles. Center stiles run into the rails at the top and bottom. I can't see why there would be an advantage one way or the other.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    The "normal" way is for the rails to run into the sides of the stiles. Center stiles run into the rails at the top and bottom. I can't see why there would be an advantage one way or the other.
    I agree with Matt...... and when you run the rails into the sides of the stiles, you don't see the end-grain of the rails.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Rails butt into stiles. Just the way I've always done it. I don't attach a face frame for the whole cab run. Build frames for each box.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Yup, the rails always butt into the stiles. I can think of several reasons why I prefer it, but not sure if there's a definitive answer....then again often if something is a standard there's a reason somewhere for it

good luck,
    jeffD

Part of the reason is so you don't see the endgrain of the rail. The other is that when you hang the doors, the cabinet will look more vertical. The doors and face frame will blend together better.
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

I think its tradition as much as anything. Traditional rail and stile systems made with mortise and tenon joints required rails to but into stiles for strength. Given that gravity is always at work and always down, rail over stile would rely on pull out strength, and this is weak. A rail into stile butt joint relies on shear strength, and this is great for most wood species. Even a no glue pegged mortise and tenon joint can last years, think old window sash. Modern face frames are seldom mortised on kitchen/shop cabinets, but the tradition continues.

With rails over stiles you won't need such long clamps though!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Agree. Other than the rails butting into the stiles on the ends all the mid stiles but into the top and bottom rails.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

My understanding is that most cabinets and furniture designs come from architecture. When you look at old furniture it is easier to see. Nowadays we see mostly box to box cabinets and not full length ones like we used to build in the house where it was going to live. I learned to build with the end stiles top to bottom and the mid stiles from the top rail to the bottom of the cabinet with the bottom rail filled in for the most part. I think cabinets look better full length so you don't have a double stile for every break in a long run of doors and partitions also. IMHO
    Jim

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. The next time I build some cabinets, I will try butting the rails into the stiles and see which I prefer.

Have a great weekend,

Jim