Thread: How to keep 1/8" acrylic flat

How to keep 1/8" acrylic flat

I'm trying engrave letters into black acrylic sheet 24 x 12. I've arranged three 11"W x 8"H signs rotated 90 degrees so the letters run sideways from bottom to top (Left to right rotated).

My problem is that the letters at the extreme left side (bottom when oriented in laser) are not coming out as white as the rest. I'm assuming it's because of slight warpage in the sheet causing a focus issue. The warpage is almost imperceptible but if I lay the cut 8 x 11 sign on a table I can see about a 1/64" gap from flat.

What do you guys do when this happens? I'm experimenting with the black sheet before I go and screw up the more expensive Rowmark sheets.

If you don't believe that this slight variation should be enough to cause a focus problem, what else could be the culprit?
    Ernie Martinez
    Ocala Florida
    Epilog Mini 24 50W
    Windows 7 Corel X6, PhotoLaser +v9
    Laguna IQ CNC Router
    Vectric Vcarve Pro
    Smithy Granite 1324 Mill/Drill/Lathe
    Grizzly GO621X Bandsaw

I would say a focus problem with beam alignment may be the culprit. We always align our beam at all 4 corners of the bed.
    24" x 36" 100 watt laser w/ pass thru and custom 36" rotary • 60 x 120 CNC w/ 8 tool changer • 62" film laminator • 54" 6 color mild solvent printer / cutter

Newest addition to the family.... 60" x 120" flatbed UV printer. 4" max part height.

Synergy Sign & Graphics LLC
    147 Stoutt Drive NE
    Strasburg, OH 44680

Healing tacky mat. Look near the beginning of JDS Industries catalog to find them. I won't cut RowMark/IpI without it.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

You can check how bad the warpage is my putting the manual focus tool on the disable the axis
    and slide the head back and forth. Then you will have a good idea where your focus is.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Turns out my laser bed wasn't level. You would think a 4 week old brand new machine would come from the factory aligned properly.
    Ernie Martinez
    Ocala Florida
    Epilog Mini 24 50W
    Windows 7 Corel X6, PhotoLaser +v9
    Laguna IQ CNC Router
    Vectric Vcarve Pro
    Smithy Granite 1324 Mill/Drill/Lathe
    Grizzly GO621X Bandsaw

Hi ernie
    no you should check verythings especially on a new machine, starting with the whole machine - the lasertube, the Y axis and the x- axis gantry - and the laser head is in level here you should check if the head is plumb. all this can be done best with a " torpedo level".
    next check with a carpenter square if the Y-axis, x-axis is square. next if the mirror's are 45 degree and the beam is center mirror every where and check if the center of all the mirrors are in the same hight. last and not least check the distance from the end of the laser tube to the first mirror it should be no more as 1 inch.
    if you want you can send me a PM
    walt
    Last edited by Mike Null; 10-05-2012 at 6:47 AM.