Thread: Tusk tenon quilt rack

Tusk tenon quilt rack

For my Aunt's 80th birthday her daughter organized a friendship quilt. Family and friends contributed squares and the quilt was put together by friends of hers from church. All on the QT as it was a surprise. I offered to make a quilt rack. Since I live in WV and she is in MI, I decided on a version that could be knocked down for shipping.
    I've never made anything with tusk tenons before but it went smoothly. Previous racks I've made with 3/4" stretchers. I wanted a beefier through tenon for the mortise and tusk tenon so I glued 3/4" stock to build up the ends. I tried to make them a little artsy, but after I realized they won't show much with a quilt on it.
    Red oak from Lowe's and polyurethane finish.

More pictures here: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjBZKjG7

P1120065.JPGP1120064.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Paul Saffold; 10-04-2012 at 9:13 PM. Reason: added photos

Blog Entries
    I do lots of artsy details that the average person would miss. They are there for the folks who really look at a piece. Nice detail and they make a stout shoulder for strength.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Do you mind sharing the dimensions? Would like to make one for my sister, and curious as to the size of these things. Yours looks really nice!
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Thanks Glenn and Keith.
    This one is 30" high, 30" wide plus the through tenons, 10" deep, and the stretcher is a 1x4. I made one that was 36" wide for a larger quilt but the proportions didn't look right to me. My tenon cutter is 1/2" so the dowels just need to be big enough to leave a shoulder. The mortice for the tusk tenon is 1/2" wide.
    Paul