Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Box Elder burl tree

Box Elder burl tree

Brought home this tree last month, should keep me busy for a while! I may have to donate some to the woodturners club. Not sure my skills are up to doing justice to this wood.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice haul. Got some good looking flame there. My suggestion is when you are breaking it down, cut some into 2 1/2 to 3 1/2" turning squares for ornaments, boxes and such. Nice to have on hand.
    God is great and life is good!

I do have the quartersawn slabs with the pith removed and most are about that thickness. I haven't done much with ornaments or boxes, but I do plan to in the future. I haven't done hollowforms yet either, I think I will let the more experienced club members tackle that.

Get the pith out of it ASAP and seal the tar out of it. In my experience, box elder goes bad a lot quicker that most woods.

BTW, you should put your location in your profile so we can see where your from (and where your hiding the box elder!)
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    Get the pith out of it ASAP and seal the tar out of it. In my experience, box elder goes bad a lot quicker that most woods.

BTW, you should put your location in your profile so we can see where your from (and where your hiding the box elder!)
    Just did the profile update. I'm still working on cutting up and sealing the last giant piece of burl trunk. It is over 3 feet in diameter! Thanks for your advice Scott.

That's about as fine a wood gloat as I've seen in a while. Box elder itself makes for very interesting pieces, and the burl is some of the most desired burls around...at least in my book!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Watch your back you old dudes.
    Nice wood!!

I gotta admit that is one ugly tree but it has beautiful looking wood inside

those burls will be nice, enjoy

Wow!! Congrats on all that beautiful wood! Wish I had one of those blue wood picker-uppers! Sure would come in handy every now and then! Have fun turning!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

man why can't i ever find something like that.Great gloat for sure

That ranks near the top of all the wood gloats I have seen. Enjoy!!

Wow now that should keep out of trouble for a day or two. That is going to make some nice pieces.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thats a kings ransom in wood. Worth thousands if thats your choice. Word of caution--BE has a lot of sugar in it and just loves to black mildew if not used soon. That can be pretty or ugly???? Try to let it dry some--maybe just wax the end grain or whatever. I was there a year ago. Also it turns green like froz butter--dry not so good. Rather chippy. Doesn,t seem to move curing and turning it to final thickness worked for several of us. crotchy cajun

Wow! Now that is one heck of a haul! Even without the burl it's a great gloat, looks like some nice flame in those logs.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.