Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Box Elder burl tree

In some pieces i like to leave the pith in at just about rim height[bowls] and turn it thin and take off the lathe and watch what happens.It's nice to see a piece warp,i think it adds interest.IMO, i've enjoyed turning wet Box Elder as much as anything, altho Apricot,Myrtle, Maple are a lot of fun.there was a tree in Wis. that was very old and full of burls[box elder] i couldn't fit the whole tree in my truck back to Az., so i harvested all the burl caps, and to this day they always attract a lot of attention once finished. Rob

Road trip!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Quote Originally Posted by robert raess View Post
    In some pieces i like to leave the pith in at just about rim height[bowls] and turn it thin and take off the lathe and watch what happens.It's nice to see a piece warp,i think it adds interest.IMO, i've enjoyed turning wet Box Elder as much as anything, altho Apricot,Myrtle, Maple are a lot of fun.there was a tree in Wis. that was very old and full of burls[box elder] i couldn't fit the whole tree in my truck back to Az., so i harvested all the burl caps, and to this day they always attract a lot of attention once finished. Rob
    Thanks for the idea Rob. I think I will do a few like that to see what happens.

Hmmmmm, how far is Liverpool from me?????? That's one hell of a score, Toby! Just checked...only 2 1/2 hours!
    I drink, therefore I am.