Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Trotec Speedy 300 Pricing: Trade Show vs. Sawmill Creek Pricing

I'll be passing the exhaust out a window, so I'll most likely build a dog house type structure to mount the blower in outside and wire in a GFCI with a switch to turn on the blower. I was thinking of using a blast gate to control the suction but I don't want to create excess stress on the blower if I need to close it off (to reduce extraction in the laser). I'll most likely use a wye-fitting with a blast gate to regulate the air flow; As I close off the blast gate, more suction will be created at the laser. I'll probably route the other end of the wye back outside so I'm not drawing the extra heat from the home.

Of course, that brings up the issue of creating a backdraft at the gas water heater flue if I create negative pressure from the laser exhaust. Hmm, so many things to consider when setting up the exhaust indoors.

Edit: I just tested the blower with a kill-a-watt. The end result is the motor amp draw actually goes down the more suction you block off. With full suction, it pulls 6.8 amps. With the suction completely blocked off, it pulls less than 6 amps. My conclusion is I won't need a wye-fitting to control the air flow; a single blast gate shutting off the suction should work nicely.
    Last edited by Ronald Erickson; 10-21-2012 at 4:10 PM.
    Laser: Trotec Speedy 300-80 watts
    Software: Corel Draw X6, Windows 7 64-bit, Adobe Photoshop CS5
    __________________________________________________ ___

Please, call me Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Erickson View Post
    Edit: I just tested the blower with a kill-a-watt. The end result is the motor amp draw actually goes down the more suction you block off. With full suction, it pulls 6.8 amps. With the suction completely blocked off, it pulls less than 6 amps. My conclusion is I won't need a wye-fitting to control the air flow; a single blast gate shutting off the suction should work nicely.
    Most dust collectors are similar, reduce airflow and see a reduction in current draw, unlike a shop-vac where a reduction in airflow makes the motor work harder.

Gary

P.S. Glad you used a coupon, too bad you didn't get the sale and coupon...