Thread: Rikon 12 x 16 mini lathe

Rikon 12 x 16 mini lathe

Anyone have one of these? I see it will be on special next week for under $300 and wonder if it might be good starter lathe for my grandsons?
    Just thinking of pens and small spindle/finial type work.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

I not sure which one you are talking about. I have looked at the 70-100 and the 70-050 can see no real difference in specs. The 050 is $250 here.. http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/r...-70-050VS.aspx
    I have only used a Rikon once but it seemed very nice and I almost never read a bad posting about them.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

I think it is a very good deal for the money----it's solid and has a #2mt.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

I have a Rikon mini and it is a great small lathe - very good value for the money.
    "So much wood - So little time ! "
    Past President Western Mountain Woodturners
    Past President Maine Woodturners

I have had the 70-050vs for nearly two years, no problems or real complaints. I have turned many pens, and a few bowls. In stock form it could use a little more power for bowls (I changed the motor to a treadmill motor), but it's workable. I even turned the center pulley out of a cast iron flywheel from the treadmill on it. The 70-100 and 70-050vs use different bed extensions though, so just be aware if you want to get an extension.

That is a great deal. I had one also but now my nephew uses it. Great for small items such as pens, ornaments, salt and pepper mills along with lidded boxes. Bowls and vases need sharp tools and light cuts.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I have the 70-100 and i am very happy with it. would iike a little more power some times when i am turning a big bowl or vase but for the most part it was a great buy. I have turned a few bowls that finished at 11-1/2 inches diam and 5 inches deep. it handled it but it was working.
    Grandpa always told me. "A good woodworker is not one that makes no mistakes. A good woodworker is one who knows how to cover up his mistakes."

Thanks every one it sounds to me as if I should 'pop' for one and see just how involved I can get my grandsons.
    I really appreciate the input!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Yes, Peter, it is a good little lathe. I have variable speed one, and it is a great second lathe, if nothing else. Okay, anyone that knows me will say "SECOND?!?!". I have 4. But if you were to have a second lathe, that would be a good one. I have it set up strictly for pens. So, whenever I want to turn one, I don't have to pull out the mandrel etc, I just hop on it.
    I drink, therefore I am.