Thread: Found an old coin under my pear tree

Found an old coin under my pear tree

Hi all,

I've been very busy over the last week so all I've been able to to at the Creek is read everyone else's stuff. I've learned a lot though.

But yesterday, I decided it was time to dig up the stump of my pear tree in the back yard since I figured that I'd get some nice burly stuff out of it. And I did. The wood is beautiful and it was well worth the aches and pains I have this morning.

While digging it up, I found a 1940 penny underneath the main root. This penny was dirty and it had some corrosion, although really not that bad. It was so embedded into the root structure that I have to assume that it was there either before the tree, or at the time of planting. The tree was very old and narley.

Because the penny was in perfect condition with perfect lettering I just had to wonder, and maybe one of you know the answer.... Way back then, was it customary for people to drop a penny in the hole while planting a tree, to mark the date?

This is pure curiosity based on the fact that our property has been passed down for generations and maybe there's a story to this....Or maybe a penny fell out of someone's pocket while they were digging.

Any insights would be most appreciated.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

I have never heard of that, but I wouldn't doubt if someone did drop one in.

A cool find either way!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

I have heard that in the past that when planting a yard tree a coin was placed under the root ball for good luck. Though it is doubtful to me that a copper coin would bring much luck. Most trees are not all that fond of copper.