Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who has built a Chevalet for Marquetry?

I also used ash for my chevalet.

A major difference between a fret saw and chevalet is that the chevalet mechanism of adjustable parallel rods ensures that the blade is always perpendicular to the packet. That is critical when using multiple layers in a packet so that all pieces are identical. You can't hand hold a fret saw without being a few degrees off from vertical, so the pieces won't be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sincerbeaux View Post
    Beautiful job building your chevalet.
    I learned Marquetry from Paul Schurch many years ago. His method is what I still use today. I have researched and considered taking a course from Patrick Edwards and learning his methods. I definitely think using a chevalet for Marquetry results in superior results. But, I have a hard time wrapping my noggin around cutting with such a huge and archaic device? I have seen some very amazing Marquetry that was produced simply using a fret saw and a "V" board mounted to a bench. I am sure I would be sold on a chevalet if I took a course and realized it's potential.
    John, I just saw your website and the marquetry is beautiful! If you are doing one-off things without repeating pattern elements, then the advantage of the chevalet may only be in ease of use - the small angle that the fret saw blade would have with the veneer packet would have less of an effect. If you have a packet of veneer layers, then any small angle will result in the pieces each being different from each other. If you want to cut a pattern once and then get the pieces to make 8 or 10 items in which the pieces all fit together accurately, then the chevalet might be the way to go. Most powered scroll saws don't actually have perfectly vertical blade motion, the blade is also rocking forward and back, so that doesn't work all that well for very small, accurately cut pieces.

If you ever have the chance to try a chevalet, you might find it easier to cut accurately and it is also less tiring - you only lightly guide the saw frame using two fingers, you aren't lifting the saw up and down. However, it might be easier to move a pattern around when it is horizontal (as with the fret saw/bird's mouth method) than when it is vertical (as with the chevalet), especially a larger packet of veneers. Also, gravity is not trying to pull the tiny pieces out of the packet as they are released. With the chevalet, the blade is horizontal, not vertical, and when small pieces are released from the pattern, you have to take a needle and poke the various layers out from front to back. They tend to get caught in the curved piece behind the rear jaw, rather than falling on the floor when using a birdsmouth.

Keep in mind that I am not an expert at any of this, just relaying some observations. Maybe in a few years I will be better qualified to discuss this topic.

Thanks Mike for the compliment. I have revisited Patrick's school website and I am pretty sure I am going to take a course from them. The level of work they do is second to none.
    John

Patrick Edwards also teaches a class at MASW in Indiana, if that's closer for you. They have eight chevalets there that Mark Hedin built (I'm not sure what the plural of chevalet is) and so they are therefore limited to eight students in the class, which is usually offered just once a year. I believe that this year's class is already full, but maybe you can get on a waiting list in case someone cancels.

Mike

I have been to Marks school a few times and it’s a great school and plan on going again, but going to Patrick's school has its upside over Marks school as when I was there he had multiple projects he was working on and various other things in his shop that you don’t get at Marks school. Also San Diego has a lot more to offer in regards to site seeing at night and like I did stayed the weekend for other activities. But either way Patrick class if very informative.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

There's a guy on LumberJocks named shipwright who is a wealth of information.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    There's a guy on LumberJocks named shipwright who is a wealth of information.
    Shipwright had gone to Patrick's school and is now a master in his own right and also has opened a school for Marquetry and use of the chevalet. If you check him out on LJ review his project page for some excelent work.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006