Thread: Pop

Pop

I'v searched high and low, here and Google, and I can't find an answer I feel like i'm the only one left out of the secret Anyway here it is... what is popping the grain?

Simply put - finishing wood in such as way as to exaggerate the grain. "Exaggerate" could be replaced with the adverbial clause of your choice, like "show off", "highlight the contrast", "accentuate the figure", etc....

This is typically done with oils or dyes or combinations of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Ross View Post
    I'v searched high and low, here and Google, and I can't find an answer I feel like i'm the only one left out of the secret Anyway here it is... what is popping the grain?
    Hi Charlie, simply put it means to "enhance" or make the grain appear more dimensional. Dry uncoated figured wood can look very lively as to grain patterns, take for example curly or quilted maple. Yet when wet down with anything, even water, The grain immediately appears to look even more lively, it has more depth and play as you look at turn it to differing angles, it seems almost 3 dimensional. The darker areas look darker and therefore make the lighter areas seem lighter, giving the affect of depth and dimension. Flat surfaces look like there are hills and valleys etc.

Hope this helps.

Sam / Chemmy
    Sincerely,

S.Q.P - SAM - CHEMMY.......... Almost 50 years in this art and trade and counting...

Thanks Guys!!!