Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm gonna show my ignorance......Why black gesso?

I'm gonna show my ignorance......Why black gesso?

I have seen many turners using black gesso. Not ever having heard of it before, I did some (albeit limited) due diligence. It appears to be not much more than an acrylic paint. Am I wrong? If this is correct, why not just use black acrylic paint? The stuff I have seen that have been 'black gesso'd' looks great and I'm ready to buy some of this stuff myself, but I am wondering why folks are using it, rather than any other black acrylic paint.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Never be afraid to show your ignorance! I'll show mine too. I have no idea why Black Gesso, but I'm curious too.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

I don't use or know anything about Gesso.
    I just Googled it.
    Gesso is not paint from what I see.
    Don't know the answer to your question. Sorry.

Isn't gesso the plaster type material used on frames?

Yeah. Like as a smooth ground under gold leaf containing plaster and binders. Could the black gesso just be the name of the paint color?

Gesso comes in white also, it is mainly used as a ground for creating texture. Other colors may be over coated to create the object or artwork. It is often applied with a pallet knife or a dry sponge. could be used for a decorative texture on a accent band on bowls or vases. Forgot to add, Gesso is a water base material, available at you friendly craft/art supply store
    Last edited by Don Nicholas; 10-09-2012 at 6:04 PM. Reason: Another thought

I know......Because thats what they say to use. LOL

The reason woodturners use black gesso is because it isn't obsorbed by the wood. That allows you to color one area of the wood, let's say the rim of a platter, and then turn the very edge of the rim or the interior of the platter and end up with a very clean and crisp deliniation between the two areas.

DSC01442.jpg
    Last edited by BILL DONAHUE; 10-09-2012 at 8:33 PM.

Gesso are very thick , if you wanted a different color Gesso why not tint the white gesso or mix the black with white gesso

Gesso does not bleed or creep, stays where it's put

Gesso is quite thick and chalky when dry so you can apply it and easily hide any grain below it if that's your goal

Things stick to Gesso (all paint types and finishes)
    Eric Holmquist
    C&C Always Welcome

Gesso is generally used to prime canvas/linen before it is painted on. You can get gesso by the gallon There shouldn't be any reason you can't tint the white stuff any color you wanted Also there are all the advantages posted above in woodturning (I've only used it on canvas, so I will leave the rest to the turning gesso gurus )
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

I'm sure glad someone ask that question, I had no idea what they were talking about.
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Belknap View Post
    I'm sure glad someone ask that question, I had no idea what they were talking about.
    Add me to that list.

Gesso ignoramuses, UNITE !!!
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

I use gesso on the outside of a bowl I intend to paint then metal leaf. The gesso is very thick, almost like thin peanut butter. It serves as a filler that can be sanded to a glass smooth surface. However, If I wanted to create a stucco like surface it can also be used for that. I believe folks use black gesso rather than black paint is because it can smooth over a rough surface where thinned acrylic paint cannot. Gesso accepts coats of acrylic paint very well, also. Buy a bottle. It is inexpensive and play around with it. It is another product that will give you design opportunities.
    faust