Thread: dust collection for drill press

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county

dust collection for drill press

How important is dust collection for a drill press? I care more about the invisibly small, dangerous particles than I do about saving clean up time. I have an old PowerMatic 15" that I usually run at less than 1000 rpm so I don't think the bit will be launching particles with the same speed as my tablesaw blade. I could run a flex hose (10' or less) easily over to it, but don't know what type of collection hood is optimal for a drill. Saw the downdraft table for drill press in another thread and it got me thinking again about adding the DP to the system (sometimes its in, sometimes its out), but it seems a simple radial arm saw type hood near the post might work as well. What are people's thoughts? Thanks.

P.S. if I insert a wye branch here for the DP, might remove the need for an adjustable nipple and cut pipe in that segment. Then I can postpone figuring out how to cut pipe for a while. Went to a hardware store at lunch to look at angle grinders and they all seem to me made in China. Any non-China models out there still?

Get some of the semi-rigid flex hose (Stay Put) from Rockler or Woodcraft or better yet the pricier but more rigid ball and socket LOC-LINE which stays put better and has a full range of fittings, and adapt what you get to your DC piping. Mount it to the column or table so you can position it within and inch or so of the drill bit. I have a strong DC so I'll probably replace the Stay Put on my DP with Loc-Line like I have done with my benchtop mortiser.

I might have gone a little overboard with two pickups:

Stay Put:

LOC-LINE:

It seems likely that the flex hose and intake funnel type set up like your Alan is likely to be best able to accommodate the range of different types of drilling jobs that may come up - there's always the possibility of needing to get an entire cabinet or the like under the press. There's probably more options if you only drill smaller parts.

I guess a drill isn't a big producer of fine dust (?) - not obviously so anyway. Then again I guess the problem with dust is that over time it accumulates on surfaces in the workshop (so that your moving around causes issues) if you don't do a decent job of catching it at source.

The above is probably another case where if you have a large capacity dust system/lots of CFM you can use a fairly large intake funnel - which will move enough air/create enough inwards airflow to capture fine dust floating about in the general area as well as do a better job of pulling in chips...

ian

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    I am running a 5hp Oneida Pro2000 essentially one machine at a time via blast gates. 7" main ducting and the drill press is physically the closest machine to the cyclone since it was bolted down to the floor before I bought the cyclone. I am "building" the ducting as I go away from the cyclone, so I am passing near the drill press first and can run a line over to it now or loop back to it later.

Quote Originally Posted by James Baker SD View Post
    I am running a 5hp Oneida Pro2000 essentially one machine at a time via blast gates. 7" main ducting and the drill press is physically the closest machine to the cyclone since it was bolted down to the floor before I bought the cyclone. I am "building" the ducting as I go away from the cyclone, so I am passing near the drill press first and can run a line over to it now or loop back to it later.
    Dust collection at a drill press is not without down-sides: (1) it can be noisy- air noise, (2) it can easily suck up small parts and, depending on the suction, even an occasional drill bit or chuck key! (3) did I mention it is noisy.

The Loc-Line at my mortiser connects to a central shopvac system, not my DC. Typically, that is all you need at a drill press unless you use your drill press with sanding drums. In that case you'll want larger hose and pickup for more CFM and some sort of dust deflector/pickup rig.

Here's what I did for my drill press. I basically created a down draft table for the drill press. I hook up four inch hose to the bottom of the table. I have a 6" hood that sits on top of the table behind the drill bit that connects via a Y to the 4" DC line. Dust and chips get taken care of.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

That's got to be a belt and braces job that gets everything, but presumably needs decent CFM to run both modes of collection...

ian

Here's my setup. It's pretty simple, but works well.

DC DP-1.jpg DC DP-2.jpg

I find that if I don't run the DC, the Dylos starts registering a spike in particles fairly quickly. As simple as my setup is, it has taken me several iterations to arrive at the current configuration.

And yes, as Alan said, it can be hazardous to small parts DAMHIKT.

Paul