Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Well, another weekend has come and gone, oh the time during oncall that I have "blown".

Needless to say that I didn't get to the shop any this weekend because of being OnCall at work. The good thing is? It wasn't as busy a weekend as I had expected...so I was able to sleep and get some rest which is normally unusual during a weekend. So I guess overall.....I'm pretty happy about it.

Back to the shop this week...YEA!!!!!

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all....
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Another "eclectic" weekend here...Friday was the Mid-Atlantic Expo, a "pro" show in Ft Washington where I had the opportunity to see some big iron and chat with some friends...and one small purchase previously detailed in another thread.

Saturday started with a trip to Ikea to pick up the beds for our future children's' room...yea, I know, a woodworker should make such things, but I just plain don't have the time to be sure and have things ready before we host this summer. We want to be ready and have a lot of things to do. The remainder of the day was spend on the lawn with the "first cut" of the season. I also intended to spread the corn gluten meal, but found I need a longer PTO shaft since I equipped the tractor with the "Pat's Quick Change" hitch system. The previously cut down shaft is about 3 inches too short now...drat! It's only money...($90 + shipping) At any rate, I spent the remaining hour of daylight with the chipper making a large pile of...chips.

Sunday brought a return to Ikea to exchange a damaged bed part and buy some supplemental dining chairs. They were having a "save your sales tax" weekend in "honor" of the US tax filing deadline and we needed a few chairs for our kitchen eating area to replace the ones that are falling apart...the price was right. And we have a bunch of guests coming in a couple weeks to celebrate my parent's 50th and it wouldn't be fun to have a chair collapse under a guest! (the anniversary was 7 December and they had a FL party, but wanted a "northern" gathering for friends and relatives)

And then is was on to other things...like crawling in the crawl space (makes sense... ) to finally get the circuit in for those lights I hung in the great room. The high water table finally subsided below the basement floor so it was safe to work on this important project. The lights look great now that they have electricity! I also got the mantle topper "permanently" installed...ended up removing the original barn-wood apron as it was interfering with getting the mantle flat, level and tight to the wall...probably from unevenness. But it ain't going anywhere at this point. I once again ended the day with a nice session with the chipper making little pieces of big limbs that came down over the winter.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-18-2005 at 10:38 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Got a lot of shop time in this weekend! The project I am working on is into the stage where everything takes forever! Getting ready for final assembly, dry fitting everthing, etc

I did get a lot done this weekend, lots of minor tasks that had to be done!

Also worked on setting up a new mega gloat. Pics/Gloat pending full set up.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

The weekend started an hour or two early on Friday. We purchased 100 tree seedlings through our county extension service and planted them on Friday. It went suprisingly fast and we were done in a couple hours.

Saturday my future SIL brought down a leaf from her table so that I could match the finish for the buffet I'm about to start building for their wedding gift. Once that was done, I spent a couple hours doing some more spring cleaning in the shop--this time going through all of the non-saleable or garage sale type stuff while the women did some craft stuff in the house. Then we went over to my parents to visit for the evening.

Sunday morning, I went out and sharpened mower blades and got the mower deck installed so that I can cut the lawn for the first time tonight. After that was my daughter's 3rd birthday party so we had several guests from both sides of the family. She got her first Harbor Freight item from us--an all-terrain tricycle. Tonight we are giving her a couple other gifts from us, including a set of power tools and a toolbox for them. She wants to "scare me" with my impact driver every time she sees it, so we figure she'll like having her own.

Saturday....clean up day and haul away construction debris. Sunday...yardwork...fertilize and kill unwanted weeks and get ready to start last big push in finishing the shop interior.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Finished up, delivered and installed a built-in stereo cabinet. I'll post some pics this week.

Worked on restoring some planes, again pics when done.

Lot's of yard work.

Took my son to see a civil war reinactment. He thought it was pretty cool when they started shooting the big guns (canons). We were about 20 feet behind one of the bigger ones and they made one hell of a bang.

Enjoyed the great out doors, temps were just awesome this weekend.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

I got in a little bit of shop time. I got tapped at work to build a display case for the Medal of Honor. It is an honor, but talk about pressure to perform.

Last year, we dedicated our organization (Army) to a fallen soldier (SFC Paul Ray Smith) from Florida. I am sure that most of you have read that he was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions in Iraq.

We are having a rededication and an MOH ceremony in May with SFC Smith's family and several bigwigs. His family is probably the strongest group of people I have ever met. I don't want to let them down.
    Age and Treachery will always beat youth and skill.

Great Weekend!

The weather was absolutely beautiful all weekend in our area, so we spent a ton of time outside. Saturday was spent running errands all over the city, including two separate birthday parties for my son to attend. We wrapped up the day at Lowe's, where I purchased all of the materials for my Sunday project!

Sunday was spent replacing the ugly black/rusted wrought iron railing on the wall for our basement walk-up. This project has been a long time coming (as have most of the things that I am doing lately). I didn't anticipate the toughtest part of this project being the drilling of the holes for the 7" lags. That was some pretty darn tough concrete!! I roasted three masonary bits, but managed to get all then holes drilled. The rest of the project went up pretty quickly. The LOML was really happy with it, and has now mandated that gates need to go across the opening. I should be able to get those done during the week. Here's a picture of the finished product. Now I just have to power-wash, prime and paint the wall, and I can check that one off the list...

Keith
    Attached Images Attached Images

No woodworking this weekend. Just yardwork.

The good news is that the never ending poker table project has lost its name. A couple late nights this week got it completed and over to the new owners house. They used it Thursday night, but I was unable to attend.
    All the redesigns and rework turned out great. I'm still waiting on pics of it with the fabric and lighting installed.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Dennis...you didn't get any shop time? Must be something to do with planet alignment....I was in the shop all weekend! I went from this:

To this:

I'll be putting together a whole write up on the saw, the sliding table that didn't work out and the new extension wing/table fairly soon. The framework (Oak aprons) had to be modified to fit the Griz rail and leg obstacles. So it's not a true torsion box. I will be stiffening it up more with the lower cabinet, which will get built in a couple of weeks.

If you look closely at the bottom photo, near the Formica edge to the right of the miter guage track, you'll see a Formica blowout. I might replace that piece later, but right now, it doesn't bother me much.

I plan on getting the new PC 892 router to fit in the TS wing. It has an on board adjustment accesible through the top of the table plate. I'll pick up the new plate for it today.

So that's what I did (aside from trying to nurse a sore back). Hope you guys all good shop time in as well.

3-day weekend for me BUT, no shop time! I did manage to sort through and cull all the Cherry I had stashed in the garage and get it moved to the outside rack. Pulled major maintenance on the Deer, got the old Husqvarna up and running (new battery later... ), cut lawn, rolled, aerated and de-thatched. (An acre + of real rough terrain!) Still need to spread some "Grub-X". Tore down and power washed the gas grill. Took a bit of a R&R break Sat. evening and took the family to the movies. Productive weekend, albeit w/o any shop time. Nice to be outside though! Hope everyone has a great weekend!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Worked on the two workbenches this weekend, but Sunday afternoon was the big day in the new building as all of the tools except two went magically (via forklift) from the first floor to the second floor through a hole in the floor. Wow is that efficient. Whoever invented pallets should be praised. Only a large jointer and large bandsaw remain for the upstairs trip, and for them I think I will use a rigger as one will be onsite for another purpose anyway, so I can get away with paying only for time actually used, without the usual travel, etc. Each weighs in at 2500 pounds, and I am concerned that fully extended, the available forklift will not make the 14 foot trip with that much weight.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

I took a vacation day Friday to do my taxes and take my daughter on a tour of a veterinary clinic, so I had a little more shop time than usual this weekend. I continued work on my Mission dressers. I have all the web frames put together and everything dadoed for the cases. I've been milling the QSWO for the outsides and getting everything ready to start piecing it together.

Because of space issues, I won't actually put the cases together until I have all the flat pieces ready to go together.

Not much shop time. Cleaned a couple of rusty plans. Got this electro cleaning down fairly good.
    Mostly hung around the house. Wifes father isn't doing too good. Prostate cancer. He and his wife live here on our property, so they are close.
    All of his kids and grandkids came down to see him before He gets worse. He's pretty well bed ridden now. On morphine.
    Not a happy time right now.

Spent 5 hours yesterday with a #7 and #4 1/2 flattening out my workbench. (Lyptus is a tough wood to smooth!!)

Probably another 2 hours needed with a card scraper.
    Michael in San Jose
    Non confundar in aeternam