Thread: Workshop progress: Slab day

Workshop progress: Slab day

Early today the foundation guys came out and put 2-1/2" styrafoam insulation on the inside of the stud walls and under the outer 30" of the slab.
    Then they filled the middle with pea gravel.

I got the stats on my foundation from my builder. The 12" thick concrete footers go down 32". The 100 year frostline here is 28". So there is adequate depth of the footers.

In the afternoon the first cement truck arrived and, as with the footers, all the cement was carried back in a Bobcat bucket. The slab was poured flush with the top of the stud walls. The slab extends out openings in the stud walls for the double and single doors. Thus the slab will be continuous until outside the doors. Wednesday the lumber arrives including the 24" TGI joists for the ceiling. The framers are reported to be fast and will get the place closed up in about a week and a half. Can't wait!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here are some photos of the pouring and finishing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like things are progressing nicely Glenn! Keep us posted!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 10-16-2012 at 2:52 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I don't know about concrete, but if the purpose of the foam is to insulate the floor, why not use it over the entire base?

It's my understanding, Warren, that heat loss from slabs occurs mainly at the perimeter and in this case, at the stud walls.

Looking good Glenn,

The framing should be fast. You will have a shop in no time. Keep the photo's coming. What size is your shop?

Sam

I like your foreman.

Looks like a real slave driver.

The shop is 24'x36'. The building will have walls about 9-1/2' tall. So the ceiling will be about that height. The upper part, which just started out to be a storage attic, will have 5' knee walls and a 12/12 pitch roof. Conventional roof framing will be used so that there will not be trusses up there. There will be cross ties 9' off the upper floor which will provide a ceiling 9' wide. This will give me a usable upper area of about 15' wide and 9' tall down the center. There will be 3 skylights and a double hung window at each end of the upper area. This design is courtesy of my neighbor who is a builder, fellow woodworker and all around great guy. I posted drawings a few weeks ago. I can't wait to move in.

Thanks Glenn. Looking forward to the progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Edwards(2) View Post
    I like your foreman.

Looks like a real slave driver.
    +1. beat me to it.

My grandpas wood shop is 24x36 also. He does have a porch on it where he keeps his planer, dc, and air compressor. Nice size.