Thread: How to fix my mistake?

How to fix my mistake?

I sand thru the cherry plywood in the middle of table top. How to fix it? Is stain will be different tint on unsand and sand parts? Or do I need to cover my mistake with veneer?
    Thank you, Ed.

If you could post a picture it would be easier to see exactly what you have to repair. Why are you staining cherry?
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

You wright, pictures better then poor explanations. sand1.jpgsand2.jpg

I would paint it and make another one with cherry using a cabinet card scraper ,no belt sanding. Don't worry about it ,you will have two tables.

I guess you now realize that sanding modern hardwood plywoods is a bad idea. Sorry you had to learn such a tough lesson.

I was hoping you only had a small sand through that we could have helped you hide.

Remaking the top is the best approach. (see last sentence below)

As for redoing it with a cherry veneer... You are going to have a thickness issue to deal with at the solid wood edges. and it may be more work than it's worth.

I have a drill press cabinet made from some really nice hardwood plywood that "somehow" got sanded through when it was supposed to be something completely different; a table top. Hmmm.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

You don't. If you could get a sheet of veneer and cover the whole thing you might get away with it.

When you are dealing with veneered plywood you always have to make sure that the solid wood is proud of the plywood so you can grind the wood down to the plywood. They veneers have been getting impressively thin. Lately my Cherry plywood veneers are in the .015" range. Cherry becomes transparent at about .008" so you only have about .007" to sand before you get yourself into trouble.

Welcome to the wonderful new world of "veneer wood". Sorry you learned your lesson the hard way (as many of use have). You definitely need to work solid wood down to the veneer. I don't see any reasonable way of fixing this that will be cheaper or less work than simply rebuilding the top. If you REALLY want to fix it, pop off the edging, veneer with cherry, and apply new edging that it slightly oversized....then continue as usual. That's a heck of a lot of work for a small piece of plywood. It will never be flat, also...you'll always have a dip in that corner.

Thanks you guys, lesson learn. I will redo tabletop.
    Eduard.