Thread: Dado blades

Dado blades

I have had a Craftsman dado blade for years,however it does not leave a good bottom,in the dado.It is not flat,humped in the middle.I have been looking at new ones,both Freuds.One is the Freud Super Dado set,the other is the Freud Dial-A-Width Dado set.Any comments on which one of these is the best,or other ones on the market which are as good or better.My Craftsman is a pain in the a// to dial in.I would appreciate any feedback. Dale

Both of the Freud sets you mentioned are excellent. However, the Dial-A-Width requires an arbor of greater length. Measure the arbor of your saw and post back. Someone who owns the Dial-A-Width may have more detailed answer.

You should also consider the Infinity. From what I've heard, it is excellent.

I just recently got the Freud SD608 8" Dial-A-Width Dado. I've only used it a few times, and it is the only dado I've ever used. It was fairly easy to setup the first time and should be very easy to use now that I've done it once. The only cuts I've made with it were at maximum width. The cut is very clean and precise, very flat bottom and shoulders.

I have the Freud 508 and have been satisfied with it. I'd like to have the 608 for easier adjustments without shims.
    I don't know what type of saw you have, but there are some saws don't work with the 608.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

The arbor on my saw is 1 1/8 inches.The saw is a Craftsman Professional,model 315.228510,table saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Rodabaugh
    The arbor on my saw is 1 1/8 inches.The saw is a Craftsman Professional,model 315.228510,table saw.
    Read this review. It mentions the arbor length issue. According to the review, the arbor on your saw is too short to cut 3/4"-wide with a Dial-A-Width.

From Freud Web Site

http://freud.hostforadollar.net/Webs...Saw%20Fit.html

Determining if the Dial-A-Width Dado is Right for Your Saw
    To determine if your saw is capable of running the Dial-A-Width stacked dado set, check the following:

1. Arbor Nut Size – The arbor nut wrench size can not be larger than 1 3/16” (30 mm). The set includes a 7/8” wrench. If your arbor nut uses a wrench other than 7/8” (22 mm), you will need to use a wrench other than the one that comes in the Dial-A-Width. <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:P></O:P>

2. Inside Arbor Flange Diameter – If the inside arbor flange is under 2 ½” diameter you are OK. If it is over 2 ½”, the Dial-A-Width will not work on your machine. <O:P></O:P>

3. Arbor Length – Measure the length of the arbor on your machine and subtract the thickness of the arbor nut from that measurement. If that number is at least 1 3/32” then you can cut up to a ¾” dado with your saw. If it is 1 3/16” or more then you can stack all the components on the arbor at one time. Keep in mind that you must comply with maximums that the manufacturer of saw has for dadoes.

If your saw will not handle a Dial-A-Width then we suggest using our Super Dado. This will give you the same great finish as the Dial-A-Width but you will have to use the included metal shims for fine adjustments.

THX very much for the info.I will go back to the shop and measure everything again,just to make sure,but it looks like if I buy one it will have to be the Super Stack Set.THX again. Dale

I have the Super Dado set..and its excellent.
    Michael and Sally Pfau
    Grant Creek Woodworks
    Missoula Montana
    www.grantcreekwoodworks.com

Just out of curiosity (I am not in the market for a dado set) I measured my Uni, and it seems that I can't use this as the arbor is too short. Can anyone confirm that? Were I to need one, that is the one (the dial-a-width) that I think I would have preferred.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Thumbs-up on the Super Dado...

I've had the 8" Super Dado set for over 6 years now and have never been disappointed with it. I use it a ton! Even the wife has commented over time that she noted that the dado set was one addition that I've surely gotten my money's worth out of.

check it out real close

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Rodabaugh
    THX very much for the info.I will go back to the shop and measure everything again,just to make sure,but it looks like if I buy one it will have to be the Super Stack Set.THX again. Dale
    i had an old crafstman contrator saw and the stacked dado from frued wouldnt work, the threads and the shoulder were differnt sizes.. the newer saws may have corrected that problem but cant hurt to look closer.
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!

hey alan it wont work:)

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Turner
    Just out of curiosity (I am not in the market for a dado set) I measured my Uni, and it seems that I can't use this as the arbor is too short. Can anyone confirm that? Were I to need one, that is the one (the dial-a-width) that I think I would have preferred.
    so go buy a new saw to fit the dado when you get it
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!