Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gorilla Gloat...long

Gorilla Gloat...long

I ordered the Oneida Gorilla shortly after I read the first post from Jim Becker that Oneida had launched a new unit. I had their 2 h.p. commercial unit last year but never installed it and ended up selling it due to some unexpected expenses.

My son Seth and I left Halifax around 6 last evening (he was ina provincial basketball tournament this weekend, their team won bronz which was great), bound for Calais Maine where I had the unit shipped to, about a 5 hour drive but for the most part it’s all four lane and excellent roads. The U.S. border guard was a great old guy, we chatted a bit and he recommended a good place to stay and an Inn that served an awesome breakfast, he was bang on, on both accounts.

We sat on the front deck this morning around 6 and enjoyed a coffee, it was beautiful and a lot warmer than Halifax, the water front was a stone throw...simply amazing!

We headed over to the UPS warehouse around 7 a.m. and loaded the 5 boxes, the box with the blower motor is 114 pounds but the rest are in the 30 to 50 pound range. I had to unpack the cone, even with a long box on my Ranger, they would not all fit. After some shopping for sports items we headed home and arrived in Halifax around 6:00 this evening.

After a quick cup of Java and supper we headed out to the shop to start putting the unit together, as noted by others this is not a one person job. The blower housing with the motor is well over a hundred pounds and a bit awkward. Seth noticed one thing after the blower housing was mounted to the wall brackets that does concern me, although I haven’t fired it up yet and probably won’t be able to until the weekend.

When he spun the fan by hand, he noticed the steel in the top plate was of varying thickness. It goes from close to 5/16+” thick to 3/16” and it is very noticeable. Perhaps this is done to balance the unit, I guess I will find out when it is turned on. The motor was wired for a different rotation than noted in the Oneida manual, so we switched the wires around. Although it comes with a mag switch, I bought their remote with two transmitters as my young fellow works with me in the shop a lot, on his own projects. Having two units should make life easier.

Now the BIG surprise, it has a Baldor motor. I have read on the forums that they have not started shipping the units with the import motor, to me, the entire unit looks exactly the same as my commercial unit, even the filter looks the same and I can’t imagine requiring heavier metal than what is in this.

I will be running about 20’ of 7” with a couple of branches. The shop is currently piped with 6” snap lock however we moved one section under the shop floor Saturday, we will move the rest from the attic to under the shop floor this coming weekend, something I have always wanted to do. Due to the way it’s worked out, I will box the pipe in using rigid insulation, I was going to buy pipe insulation until I checked the prices, around here it costs twice as much as the pipe. Getting the joints apart due to the metal tape is a real chore however someone sent me a PM and suggested a heat gun, that really helps.

That’s about it, here are a few pictures. This was one super great trip, aside from getting the cyclone, Seth, who has a love of science, gave me a very interesting education!!!

Thanks for looking and I’ll post next week on how it works……but if anyone has any comments on the fan plate, I would be interested in hearing….perhaps I should call Oneida also and see what they say. As for packaging, I would give the guys an A++

Andy
    Attached Images Attached Images

final images

This is as far along as we were able to get....for today.

Andy, they gave you a huge discount because of that accident with the orange paint! Sounds like you had a good trip and now have a nice collector. Congrats and let us know how it performs.
    Dennis

Andy, good for you. Sounds like they're going to selling a lot of these units. I'm going to be in the market for a cyclone real soon. This is looking like the one!

Yellow. Very yellow. Very good buy! Congratulations!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Yellow. Very yellow. Very good buy! Congratulations!!
    You see I have this love affair with Dewalt tools so my subconcious tells me anything yellow has to be good

May have to take a mental health day this week as I doubt I can leave it their until the weekend, especially with the nice weather we are finally having.

Andy

Andy,

I hope mine comes with the Baldor motor. I am hoping it will ship out sometime late next week. If mine comes with the Baldor I will have to post a pick of me doing a happy dance . But the way my luck works they will forget to ship the motor! Congratulations.

Chris

Chris...no worries. The motor comes attached to the blower. So they'd have to forget to ship half the system for you to be missing the motor...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Go Andy.

Looks like a real winner Enjoy.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Congrats Andy! Be sure and give us a performance review once you've used it for a while!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Congrats Andy and double congrats on getting the Baldor motor. I am sure the import is fine, but the Baldor has got to be better
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lee
    Andy,

I hope mine comes with the Baldor motor. I am hoping it will ship out sometime late next week. If mine comes with the Baldor I will have to post a pick of me doing a happy dance . But the way my luck works they will forget to ship the motor! Congratulations.

Chris
    Chris, I read a post on another forum from a guy that also purchased the unit, he asked a lot more questions than I did so this is basically third hand information. He said the Gorilla's will not be ready until May so they are shipping with the commercial Baldor motor, not sure how long that will last as they can't be making money at these prices. Also the word Gorilla is no where on the unit or the boxes so it would lead one to believe they are simply painting existing stock to get a jump on the competition which, to the best of what I have read, have not started shipping yet.

In any event, I am very, very pleased with how it went together, I will fire it up tonight although the pipe will not be run until the weekend...day job is in the way again.

I just called Oneida and they said my unit should ship actually in the next few days and she said it should have the Baldor or a Leeson since the imports have not arrived yet. So I will be standing on my head with my fingers crossed until then.

Chris

Andy,

Congratulations on your new cyclone, and thanks! I've been kicking this around too, and the info you've posted was enough to have me teetering on the edge. I have spoken with Linda (who has been terrific answering my questions) at Oneida several times the past few weeks. This morning I placed my order. I can't wait!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hill
    Andy,

Congratulations on your new cyclone, and thanks! I've been kicking this around too, and the info you've posted was enough to have me teetering on the edge. I have spoken with Linda (who has been terrific answering my questions) at Oneida several times the past few weeks. This morning I placed my order. I can't wait!

Jim
    Great stuff Jim, it is one sweet machine and super quiet and very, very smooth...I can't get over how well balanced it is. I installed the remote tonight and hope to run the new pipe this weekend. I have decided to run a piece of threaded rod on the right side of the blower, up through the ceiling, it sags about 3/4" (left to right) with the wall brackets and this will take some of the stress off, it's a pretty heavy puppy.

The folks at Oneida are nothing short of super to deal with!