Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gorilla Gloat...long

OK, now I feal bad.

Andy, I looked up the thread that you mentioned Jim Becker had started (that thread happened while I was away) and learned how much I could have saved if I had waited.
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 05-06-2005 at 6:02 PM.

I know exactly how you feel, Frank. I got mine back in October. I'm just now getting to install it. Well, hopefully in the next week.

I could have bought a plane or two for the difference, but I'm not going to cry over spilt milk.

Or, in this case a WHITE Oneida 2HP commercial. I will post pics of my installation, as I have not seen one done like I am planning.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

The Gorilla is $845, the commercial grade filter adds $67, shipping is $188, the total is $1100 even. It would be great if the shipping was in the range of the Grizzly units, but it is what it is. Their packaging is supposed to be first class and UPS doesn't work for free, so it's just a cost you have to swallow to play the game. Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stanton
    Congrate on the new tool. How much did it cost not counting freight.What size motor? Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    Congratulations Andy! Except for the colour, and the fact that it has the old style mounting brackets, it sure looks like my Oneida 2hp Commercial.

What is the horse power?

Go ahead and make me feal bad. How much less is this unit than the 2hp Commercial?
    Hi Frank, it has the same motor as your commercial unit, Baldor. I like the color actually, it matches my Dewalt tools Actually it's in a DC room so I don't see it that often. It's about $500. USD than what you would have paid. I installed a threaded rod up through the ceiling for additional support. I have lots of angle iron and a mig welder should I ever decide to change it, but it works perfect.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Larry, I've been dealing with Rich for a long time...great fellow. He's the one who arranged for my detailed tour of the facility when I picked up my system last year, too.
    Hey Jim, where is Onida located. You're in Bucks County right? How long did it take you to get there.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Andy London
    Hi Frank, it has the same motor as your commercial unit, Baldor.
    The 2hp Commercial Unit that I have has a Leeson motor. So did the 1.5hp component system I previously owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Stahl
    Hey Jim, where is Onida located. You're in Bucks County right? How long did it take you to get there.
    Yes, I'm in Bucks County outside of Doylestown. When we drove up last February (2004) it took about 5 hours each way as the weather wasn't "perfect". Fred Voorhees rode along and even managed to survive the lack of country tunes in the Tundra... It was a long day, but enjoyable, especially because we got a really great tour of the facility including both the manufacturing areas and the competitive testing lab.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The 2hp Commercial Unit that I have has a Leeson motor.
    Ditto on mine Jim.

Just wondering why they are using the Baldor, in place of the Chiwanese, on the "Gorilla", if the Leeson is also available? Are they switching from Leeson to Baldor or is one or the other an option?

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Laustrup
    Ditto on mine Jim.

Just wondering why they are using the Baldor, in place of the Chiwanese, on the "Gorilla", if the Leeson is also available? Are they switching from Leeson to Baldor or is one or the other an option?
    Jim and Karl, make that three of us with Leeson motors.

Blog Entries
    Everyone,
    I just received an email notifying me that mine has shipped!!!! I checked the tracking at ups and the estimated delivery date is May 12. I was told that it would probably ship next week sometime. I guess they are catching up over there at Oneida. Now I have to find the time to install that bad boy. I will need to finish my latest project, then rearange the shop layout (I will be seeking the wisdom of the forum with this one) before I can start the install. This is going to take me all summer. I will keep you posted.

Larry
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Thanks for the Update Andy. I noticed that Oneida posted your letter on their website.
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Laustrup
    Just wondering why they are using the Baldor, in place of the Chiwanese, on the "Gorilla", if the Leeson is also available?
    Everyone makes blanket assumptions based on a name! Baldor, like any other manufacturer has different levels of product. So does Leeson. The Leeson motors they use on the Commercial product are quite expensive in the scheme of things. I can only assume that whatever Baldors they are currently using on the Gorilla provide a little financial room so they can make a reasonable profit on the machines while waiting for the arrival of the motors they spec-ed for the machine. I'm sure there is a reason they chose the motors they did...

As part of my work at the "real job", I have been involved in some new product planning and development in addition to my primary role in technical sales. We are constantly striving to reduce cost; not so much that we can lower a price immediately, but to leave room for future competitive pressure without having to redesign...which is an expensive process. All businesses need to do this and when you have an 8000 lb gor...err...bear...over your shoulder, you need to plan for profitability over the long term.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Andy for your thread -- even if a clycone is not in our budget, I and others enjoyed the information and may now consider one in the future. We all need clean air!
    Jerry

Everyone makes blanket assumptions based on a name! Baldor, like any other manufacturer has different levels of product. So does Leeson. The Leeson motors they use on the Commercial product are quite expensive in the scheme of things. I can only assume that whatever Baldors they are currently using on the Gorilla provide a little financial room so they can make a reasonable profit on the machines while waiting for the arrival of the motors they spec-ed for the machine. I'm sure there is a reason they chose the motors they did...
    Thanks Jim.

In my air filled cranial cavity I had not reasoned that Oneida could be using a Baldor, or whatever, for the reasons you specified. Now that it's been "splained" to me, it makes perfect sense.

Karl

Blog Entries
    Everyone,
    Baldor does make a line of motor that is a little less "industrial" than the others called a commercial motor. They are not quite as heavy duty as some of the other motors. However, the motor that comes on the Gorilla is not one of the commercial motors, it is one of the standard 2 hp industrial motors. This motor has a list price of about $520. Now I am sure that Oneida did not pay that much for this motor, but, I can tell you that it is a 1st quality Baldor motor.
    I know this because I work for Baldor, and I looked up the motor in our catalog and asked one of the engineers about it. I do not have access to what our customers pay for motors, but I know that our sales staff can offer some pretty good quantity discounts. Anyway, I just wanted everyone to know that this is a 1st quality Baldor Industrial motor.

Larry
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning
    Everyone,
    Baldor does make a line of motor that is a little less "industrial" than the others called a commercial motor. They are not quite as heavy duty as some of the other motors. However, the motor that comes on the Gorilla is not one of the commercial motors, it is one of the standard 2 hp industrial motors. This motor has a list price of about $520. Now I am sure that Oneida did not pay that much for this motor, but, I can tell you that it is a 1st quality Baldor motor.
    I know this because I work for Baldor, and I looked up the motor in our catalog and asked one of the engineers about it. I do not have access to what our customers pay for motors, but I know that our sales staff can offer some pretty good quantity discounts. Anyway, I just wanted everyone to know that this is a 1st quality Baldor Industrial motor.

Larry
    As I mentioned in another thead my Bro in law is a sr engineer with McCain foods, largest food processor in the world so I go to him with anything electrical. He also told me the motor I have is one of Baldor's top line units, he couldn't believe what I paid for this setup, thought it was a steal.

I didn't realize just how many cyclones they use in food processing and what they are used for, very interesting conversation in deed.

That motor on my side of the border lists for just over six hundred bucks....very happy camper I am....now if the weather would just clear up

Andy