Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spraying rack for passage doors

Spraying rack for passage doors

I have just finished building a new front door. I have many more interior doors to build. I wanted a way to spray both sides without handling the door. I had some steel tubing that someone gave me so I fabricated a door spraying rack. The tubing had a few holes, but it worked out anyway. The rack allows me to spray one side of the door, let the finish level out, flip the door, and spray the other side. When finished, I will plug the holes, and seal them.

Dewalt 14 motor 026.jpg

Sam

Nice job, and on rollers as well. Very handy.
    Is the pivot "locked" to the door so that if you accidently pull on the stand, the door doesn't do a tumble?

Tim

Sam
    Great job and idea. And as Tim said does the stand have a pivot lock? You might need more then one rack for more interior doors. Tom

Great idea, Sam.. They look like they'd be a straightforward engine stand conversion.. and at least here engine stands are on CL fairly cheap all of the time.

Hmm.... That idea sounds like it'd also be helpful for detailing out a thick heavy glued-up bench top...
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Nice job, I would like to have one of those for doing finishes on complex 3-dimensional forms that require multiple sides and angles all be sprayed at once.

For doing larger numbers of doors or large panels, I use small dollies and spray vertically. My dollies are simply 18"x18" squares of plywood with 4 cheap casters. I screw the dolly to the bottom of the door, and stand them up. I can then wheel them into my spray area, spray one side, spin the door, spray the other side and wheel it out of my spray area to make room for the next door. This works great for me because it allows me fit 6 doors in the foot print of a single one laid flat. Also, I can spray both sides at once, cutting drying time in half. Plus, the vertical orientation makes them super easy to wheel around the shop if I really need to move a lot of parts through the booth, and seems to minimize foreign objects and dust in the finish. The downside is that spraying vertically can be unforgiving of less than perfect technique and sanding between coats is a bit more of a workout.

Hello Sam,
    That is one great looking door!!
    What a great idea! It's sooo much easier to lay on the finish with the work piece horizontal.
    I only have one question, why would you wait until after you finish the door to then fill the holes?
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Edwards View Post
    Hello Sam,
    That is one great looking door!!
    What a great idea! It's sooo much easier to lay on the finish with the work piece horizontal.
    I only have one question, why would you wait until after you finish the door to then fill the holes?
    Ed
    I'm pretty sure he talking about the screw holes created on the top and bottom edges of the door where the stand attaches to the door.

Todd

Nice looking door Sam. How did you get the door on the stand? These solid wood doors are quite heavy. I came close to dropping mine a couple of times while moving it across the shop.

We talked several months ago about door construction (I was working on my first entrance door). I put an eye-bolt in the top of mine and sprayed it vertically - would have been nice to spray horizontally. Plus after spraying you can turn the door vertical to reduce dust etc. falling on the surface.

Mike

Thanks everyone.

Tim, I used a 1/4" lag screw to secure the door to the stand. The lag screw I used is a, Spax brand. It has a head 3/4" in dia. The stand has a large hole on the side you can see, and about a 5/16" hole on the other side. So, the door is secured to the stand really well.

Thomas, regarding the pivot lock. The door is locked to the rack with the lag screw. However, if the screws are not centered, the door wants to turn. So I have to add a lock to keep the door flat. One rack set will do. I am trying to figure out where I will store these when I am finished.

Jim, I think you are right, engine stands would work just fine I think with a little modification. Now you tell me... However, I had everything on hand except for the casters.

Johnny, I like your idea as well. It sounds like you have a lot of doors to finish at one time. The dollies screwed to the bottom is a good idea. It sounds like you are much more proficient at spraying than I am. Thats why I wanted my door flat. Much easer for me. Sanding between coats is also much easer for me. You have a much better method for production work.

Ed, and Todd, Todd is right, I am talking about the screw holes on the top and bottom of the door to attach the stand. I will just dowel them and apply some finish. The top and bottom will not be seen.

Sam

Hi Mike, how have you been?

I built, and assembled my door on my work bench. I have a, "shop cart" that hydraulically raises and lowers. So, I moved my shop cart up to my bench, raise the shop cart to the right height, slid the door onto the shop cart, and rolled it to where the stands are. Then it is just a matter of raising, or lowering the shop cart to where the door lines up with the stand. It makes it nice, because I do not have t lift the door. The door is 2 1/4" thick, and is heavy.

I remember when you did your door Mike. Your door turned out really nice. I am having a stained glass insert made for the top of the door. I will post when it is finished.

Sam

Sam, great idea and nice execution. One possible modification I see that I would want to make to accommodate MY particular spraying technique would be to provide more room between the end of the door and the upright of the rack. When spraying things like this I like to spray from end to end as opposed to side to side. I also like to start the spray before the gun starts its travel over the item and end it after it exists. Having the uprights so close to the items being sprayed would frustrate that and would force me to change my technique and tilt the gun for that particular pass. I would add about 6" of spacer to either end. Again this would be to adapt it to MY technique - YMMV.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

I use a system something like that. I drill one 1/4" hole in the center on one end, about 2" deep, and two about 8" off center on the other end. I thread in 6" lags till they just start to bite. I then can set them on horses and spray one side, flip using the two lags on the one end pivoting off of the one in the center, and spray the other.

I have stacks of sawhorses, so this works well for me. When the doors are dry I leave in the lags and stand them up against the wall supported by the two lags on the bottom and resting on the one lag in the top. I had plans for a hanging rack using the two lags kind of like a bar rack, but its way down on my list.

Larry

Larry Fox,

"Having the uprights so close to the items being sprayed would frustrate that and would force me to change my technique and tilt the gun for that particular pass. I would add about 6" of spacer to either end."

A spacer would be a good idea. It would be a little easer to spray if the door was not so close to the rack. When I remove the door, I will plug and seal everything with a brush

Larry Edgerton,

You have a good technique as well. I just wanted a way that I would not have to handle the door. Between, my shop cart, and my spraying rack, there is not much lifting the door. After I take it off the rack, and put it on the shop cart, I just wheel it to where it is going, and slide it off.

Sam

Blog Entries
    "I came close to dropping mine a couple of times while moving it across the shop."

That's why I have two grown son's that I will get one to lift and hang a new door.

That looks great Sam. I seem to recall seeing something similar from a commercial drying rack place though I can't seem to find it now. IIR it had some sort of a sleeve in sleeve thing so you could rotate it, some way to secure the door to the ends, a decent projection from horizontal support bar to the pipe/sleeves that do the rotating, and a spring pin system to lock the rotation at 180 degree or 90 degree intervals. I really like the portability of your set up and the horizontal aspect should avoid runs, except on edges? If you had a sleeve with 4 holes and a spring pin you could stop, spray the edges, then do the faces in one continuous session with just enough time to let it set up. What are you spraying? Door looks great too BTW!