Thread: Blum Cabinet Levelers...Comments Please

Blum Cabinet Levelers...Comments Please

I am in the planning stages for new kitchen cabinets and I am considering using these Blum Levelers rather than a traditional toe kick base since the slab floor is really bad. They are rated for 200lbs. apiece. I am also curious if the clips to hold the toe kick trim on are easy to use. It seems that getting them perfectly aligned after the cabinets are installed may be difficult.

I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks in advance
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've used them, and they work. You can adjust them either by reaching in through where the toekick board will go, or by inserting an allen wrench through a hole you've drilled in the bottom of the cabinet. The toeboard clips do just clip on, although I've never had to run the toeboard around an outside corner.

There's another technique which works well when you're going in install a whole row of base cabinets. You build a separate loose toekick subassembly. It typically runs the whole length of the cabinet run. You install it first, using shims underneath to get it level and true. You build the base cabinet boxes as simple boxes -- without an attached toekick. At installation, you simply drop them on the already-installed toekick subassembly, and you're done.

There will be a gap between the bottom of the toekick box and the floor. Often your finish floor material will cover it, but if necessary you can add a little baseboard-type moulding.

i've used the lee valley version of these. they don't have the allen key adjustment mech, but otherwise are the same. I don't recall having any issues getting the toe kick clips on and aligned.

I've used Lee Valley's version and liked them. Getting the toe kick clips aligned isn't a problem. My only cavet with the LV version is that you adjust them with a flathead screwdriver. If you don't lift the cabinet to take the pressure off the leg, you can strip out the adjustment slot. It's just plastic.

They work well. You can adjust once the cabinets are in place. The toe kick board typically has plastic "u" shaped clamps and they grab the legs so they can be removed. They are fine for vertical load ....lateral loads tend to move them out of alignment. In my kitchen, we have these legs sleeved with metal looking covers and no base board...so there is a open "floating" look and the floor runs under.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Levelers Cont.

Thanks Guys for your comments so far.

Mark, I like the idea of the metal surrounds and "floating" cabinets since my wife wants to stain the concrete slab for the finished floor. Hmmm! Food for thought.

I will have one outside corner, so does anyone know if the clips grip the leveler along most of the length so I can mount one above the other for the corner?

Again, thanks

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Albrandt
    I will have one outside corner, so does anyone know if the clips grip the leveler along most of the length so I can mount one above the other for the corner?
    Jay

Yes they do. You just need to ensure that the ovelapping clips are mounted at different heights.

Jay ,
    Here are some pics of my kitchen... Showing the legs covered with sleeves and the floor continuing . The floor is concrete. The Island sits on a custom base I designed.

Wow Mark!

Every time I see your stuff I am so impressed! Now...the question is...do I show my wife the picture of your kitchen?

Another question: Did you build the kitchen cabinets the same way you designed and built the work stations?

Thanks for your help. I think I am going to go with the levelers.

Jay

Thanks Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Barley
    Jay

Yes they do. You just need to ensure that the ovelapping clips are mounted at different heights.
    Looking at the picture, I thought they might work that way.

Thanks,

Jay

Jay,

The cabinets are German from Siematic. I built a few special ones. The wine rack cabinet whihc doesn't show and a panthy cabinet and some pantry shelving.The wood is French rif sawn white oak. They do a nice job . I think I may use Siematic again on the home I am currently building.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Albrandt
    Every time I see your stuff I am so impressed! Now...the question is...do I show my wife the picture of your kitchen?

Another question: Did you build the kitchen cabinets the same way you designed and built the work stations?

Thanks for your help. I think I am going to go with the levelers.

Jay
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 04-21-2005 at 10:00 AM.