Thread: Shelving and drying

Shelving and drying

Has anyone built a workshop/shed based on pallet rack?

As I've written here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-ft&highlight=) I am in the slow process of trying to cobble together a workshop while retiring to Mississippi.
    In the process I recognized immediately I would need shelving, to put all of our collections on, to store lumber on, to use as workbenches.

I first dreamly thought I'd "build my own". It ain't happening. Yet.

However I have found pallet rack.

8x6SAM_0643.jpg

I now have about 24 linear foot of 12' tall shelving and 90 feet of 8' high rack. Later this week I'm due to pick up another truckload of 12' tall (80' x 4'). And I have a line on another 96' of 12' tall. SWMBO has admonished me about looking at Craigs List.

Now I'm beginning to wonder - how difficult would it be to build a small (say 12x24) "temporary" building based on pallet rack (12'x4' upright, 12' beams) and good second hand metal roofing. I had a roof replaced and although there were a few pieces of the old roof with holes other than nail holes most of it is still good. A building that size could hold my sawmill.

Has anyone here tried it?
    Note I'm in an area with no zoning regulations.

If so, what are the pitfalls? Do you have any advice?

I like pallet rack, it's like tinkertoys for the big boys.
    Setting up a workshop, from standing tree to bookshelves

A few of the "stacker" warehouses that I've designed have used the pallet racking to support the structure - so you're certainly not out in left field. What are your thoughts for the enclosure? We've typically used insulated metal panels that are attached to the racking with brackets. But you could attach metal or wood furring as purlins to attach regular metal siding panels.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bank View Post
    A few of the "stacker" warehouses that I've designed have used the pallet racking to support the structure - so you're certainly not out in left field. What are your thoughts for the enclosure? We've typically used insulated metal panels that are attached to the racking with brackets. But you could attach metal or wood furring as purlins to attach regular metal siding panels.
    Well since I'm in Mississippi and the primary reason for the shelter is to keep the sawmill and lumber out of the rain I don't need insulation. (Average January low is only 32 degrees.) The concept of furring strips to hang my metal on is a good one.
    What did you do for roofs?
    I'm thinking of leftover metal roof trusses which seem to pop up on Craigs list.
    Setting up a workshop, from standing tree to bookshelves

Again, we'd use the insulated metal panels - which would span the distances between the racks. On top of that we'd put more insulation and a membrane roof.

Using pallet rack hardware for the structure of your building is a great idea. My son is collecting pieces of it to build his own shop. Working in an un-insulated metal building in the South in the Summertime will be unbearable. It's like working in a solar oven. Use the recycled metal panels for the siding and not the roof. You don't want water leaks on your projects or equipment. Take the time to insulate the walls and ceiling as you build it and it will be relatively comfortable in there all year long. It will even be possible to add a little heating and cooling later to make it really comfortable, and you will enjoy working in there all year instead of just in the cooler months.

Charley