Thread: I need joint help.

I need joint help.

Yes I'm in the right forum. I'm fifty one and the concrete floor in my shop is really making my knees ache. They weren't that great when I was thirty though to think about it. Has anyone got a recommendation on a supplier who sells those rubber mats that aren't so expensive ? Thanks.

Blog Entries
    If you're talking about task mats, I haven't been able to wear out the one's from Sam's Club and their prices are the best for that quality and thickness that I have found in the area. Colored on one side, gray/black on the other. I have them in front of most large machines and both bench areas. Feet haven't bothered me winter or summer since. Each square is about 2' x 2'.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I got mine from Lowes. They have rolls of mat material and you can buy whatever length you want; they sell by the foot. I have one in front of my tablesaw for over 3 years with very little signs of wear. They are about 1/2" thick and easy on the feet. Beats concrete any day.

I pick up the Harbor Freight thick foam mats when their on sale, and I have a knee replacement so concrete kills me. They are light weight but I use a wood floor carpet backer under them so they stay put. I don't move much equipment around and i am just a weekend warrior. They are not good enough quality if your in a production shop. But with cupon you can get four sq. feet for $5. I have used them for two plus years and haven't had a problem with them. Good enough for what I do and I am pretty sloppy with paint, stain, and thinner.

I've found that good workboots with soft, sponge rubber soles helps to alleviate a lot of knee problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    I've found that good workboots with soft, sponge rubber soles helps to alleviate a lot of knee problems.
    ... and they work no matter where you stand in the shop (that is, you don't have to buy a bunch of mats for every place that you stand or move them around).

I use Horse stall mats that I get from Tractor supply. They are 1" thick 4'x6' and really heavy. About 40 bucks each
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

anti-fatigue shoe covers

Something like "Ergomates" will strap onto your existing shoes and act like a mobile anti-fatigue mat. That way you can still roll things around on the hard floor.

THANKS everybody. I felt kinda silly posting that.....du ..rubber mats. Pretty obvious, but you get a lot of good ideas people have already tried and actually used.