Thread: Restoring a Gateleg Table

Restoring a Gateleg Table

This is going to be a work in progress, and a lengthy (for me) one.
    I will update it with progress pictures but there will be a full blow by blow description on my blog.
    Here is the starting point, and I am looking forward to the finished article.
    Thanks for looking
    Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images

I had a look at your blog. Good progress so far. I think it'll be worth the effort when you're done.
    At least you don't have to strip a bunch of green paint out of the pores too.
    Rodney

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Walker View Post
    I had a look at your blog. Good progress so far. I think it'll be worth the effort when you're done.
    At least you don't have to strip a bunch of green paint out of the pores too.
    Rodney
    Thanks Rodney.
    The pores are very open on some of the boards that make up the top, particularly where the grain sweeps upwards toward the surface of the timber. Some of the original varnish has penetrated deeply there. It will add an element of interest - I hope - to the finished shellac top. Been away for a couple of weeks, so no more progress yet. Next step is to finish the table frame glue-up. I'll update the blog with the results.
    Cheers
    Tom

I have made some progress with other repairs to the table. Have posted some of these on my blog if you are interested.
    It is good to be making progress even though the steps are small sometimes.
    Cheers
    Tom
    2012-10-246.jpg