Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router Jig

Router Jig

I am in the process of designing/building a router jig primarily to use to add decorative details to the outside of bowls and or hollow forms.

I have been able to find a few ideas on the net and in some publications I have, but as yet I can't seem to find a way to control the depth of cut on an odd shaped piece, has anyone already got one built who would like to share?

I have seen some where the router is mounted vertically and a bearing is used for depth but some of the detail shapes, my reference would be to have the router mounted horizontally on the lathe centre line.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Do you plan on controlling the routers movement by hand? If so a guide bushing type of arrangement where the bit protrudes past the end of the bushing by the desired depth of cut should work. The bushing is used as a reference to the work. These could be home made from wood or HDPE.
    Always drink upstream of the herd.

Hey Mike. Not quite sure I understand your concept. Any chance you could sketch something or possibly provide a few more details of your idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Golka View Post
    Do you plan on controlling the routers movement by hand? If so a guide bushing type of arrangement where the bit protrudes past the end of the bushing by the desired depth of cut should work. The bushing is used as a reference to the work. These could be home made from wood or HDPE.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *

The guide rides the work piece and the router support rides on a platform that keeps the bit centered on the work center line. Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Always drink upstream of the herd.

Not sure I totally understand what your trying to do, but PSI has a Lathe Mounted Fluting Guide. The thiong can be found at http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LIXGA.html .
    Wes

"Never believe everything you think"

Thanks Mike I understand now. I'm just not sure how I will attach the guide to the router but it sure looks like it will do what I want if I can get the guide thing figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Golka View Post
    The guide rides the work piece and the router support rides on a platform that keeps the bit centered on the work center line. Hope this helps.
    Pete

Hi Wes and thanks for the link. It is described as doing pretty much what I want to do but I sure would like to see it in action. From the link it looks pretty much like the router set up I have already made and I can't quite figure out how the depth of cut can be controlled.

Quote Originally Posted by wes murphy View Post
    Not sure I totally understand what your trying to do, but PSI has a Lathe Mounted Fluting Guide. The thiong can be found at http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LIXGA.html .
    Pete

Harvey Fein does work similar to what you're describing. Saw him demo it at the AAW in San Jose. He uses a small trim router mounted on a wood block with a metal piece attached to control depth of cut. It's a pretty simple system. You can find it here - scroll down a bit and it will show up.in a setup with http://incising.net/online-store/

Here's a link to a YouTube vide that shows him in action.http://youtu.be/zgsYftV01-w

Oh Man, Jeffery! The same router and set up I built but "why didn't I think of that" as far as the depth control goes.

Thanks for the links and information.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey J Smith View Post
    Harvey Fein does work similar to what you're describing. Saw him demo it at the AAW in San Jose. He uses a small trim router mounted on a wood block with a metal piece attached to control depth of cut. It's a pretty simple system. You can find it here - scroll down a bit and it will show up.in a setup with http://incising.net/online-store/

Here's a link to a YouTube vide that shows him in action.http://youtu.be/zgsYftV01-w
    Pete

Pete:

I just noticed that in the download section there's a pdf that shows his whole system and how it works on a sample project. He's spent years perfecting his approach, and his work is impeccable.

Jeff

Hey Jeff. I too found the pdf files, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey J Smith View Post
    Pete:

I just noticed that in the download section there's a pdf that shows his whole system and how it works on a sample project. He's spent years perfecting his approach, and his work is impeccable.

Jeff
    Pete

Thanks to everyone who pitched in with suggestions, links ect.

Sorry about the bad phone photos . . . .

In the end I copied for the most part what Harvey Fein is doing at least for the router and 'follower'. The follower was a bear to make and I think I may be making a bigger one eventually which I'm not looking forward to.

IMG_1131.jpgIMG_1130.jpg

After I cobbled together this morning I took a close look at what Harvey does as far as his table support goes. I wanted a more central support that wouldn't need any other posts like Harvey uses so I took the support post that came with my Oneway Drill Guide and mounted a piece of plywood to it with a plastic fence on one side. I then discovered that the smaller of the two posts of the Oneway Easy Coring system would work and give me quite a lot of flexibility, so that is what I did.

IMG_1132.jpg

My table is not able to be angled but at this early stage I couldn't understand why I would want it to that anyway. I did have to drill/tap and install a lock handle in the Easy Core post to immobilize the table.

IMG_1128.jpgIMG_1129.jpg

I would still like to be able to do a little more free hand work as well and think that if the 'follower' is removed and a pointy base is installed in it's place I could then use it to follow patterns or shapes that could be clamped to the table. I haven't gotten around to making that yet but will as soon as I can.

I'll post photos when i get that done.

Now to find the right piece of wood to give it a try.

Comments or recommendations gladly accepted!!!
    Pete

Pete:
    That looks like it'll work great. A question, though - I've been thinking of setting up a similar system on my Robust AB - but using the base support from the OneWay Bowl Steady for the table. Do you know what the difference in height is between the coring base and the steady rest base?

Jeff

Not sure why but about half of my posts don't get published and I have to re-do them, this being one.

Jeff, yes I think this will do everything I would like to try and more.

Ok, so I am using a 16/40 Oneway and the banjo support is too tall to use as Harvey does, unless it is set down below the top of the support and as I said I wanted it as stable as possible.

My Oneway Coring set has two supports, approx:
    - 1" dia. at 4 15/16 - this is the one I used cause the post from the drill jig is 1" dia. I did have to make a couple of plastic washers to get the router to the center line
    - 1 1/4 dia at 4 3/8
    Both measurements are approx and taken above the lathe ways.

Incidentally I made my follower from a chunk of 1/8 stainless set. It was not that easy to work but in the end worked out just fine. This was by far the most difficult to fabricate.
    Pete

P1010060.jpgP1010059.jpgP1010061.jpg

Here's how I did mine. Makita trim router 116.00, Index wheel 89.00, four 21/2" exhaust pipe clamps 8.00. router bits already on hand. scrap plywood, T bolts.
    Bill