Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a cnc to me

Recommend a cnc to me

Which cnc should I get? Assume I am never making more than this one object but will need to make hundreds (hopefully) over the next few years. Object is 3/4" thick and approximately 3.5" across and round. I have to hollow out most of the inside. I have made these turkey pot calls on my lathe but am looking for something a little more automated. I would like to keep the cost down and will probably use my colt trim router in this or something similar. Speed isn't too big of an issue...

I know some will probably say to buy a big commercial unit but remember this decision assumes all I will ever use this machine for is these little pots.
    David

the two with the best support forums

the two with the best support forums are CAMaster and Shopbot. I have a CAMaster Stinger I and for the size 25" X 36" workspace it to me seemed to be the best buy for your buck, Its put together comes, welded steel frames, with a computer and software does everything I need. Buy one of the top brands and you should be ok. Several people have bought chinese ones and they worked, others say they make a good boat anchor so 50, 50 on those I guess.
    Pick your price you want to spend and see what is in the price range then wait, save a little more and get a better one. I have only had my Stinger so it is all I know about.

Dana

if it is to have a long term use, expansion and resale value then give the camaster stinger 1 a good look,

The Shopbot desktop is also a good unit. It also comes put together and is very accurate.

Really I wanted to keep this purchase at $4,000 or preferably less. And I don't want to build it myself. Thanks for the replies so far.

Then try a shark from Rockler.

I doubt you can find much in the way of purchase for 4k or less. You could get the shark though I have not heard a lot of positives about it. Laguna IQ is a possibility but it is clearly 1k more than you want to spend. Heck even some home built kits are more than $4k. How accurate does this need to be? A potential would be one of the Chinese 6040 machines you see on ebay. They are made from aluminum which is what steered me away from them but I know some members here use them for PCBs so they have to be accurate. I currently have a Joe's that I am going to sell to upgrade to a CAMASTER. Primarily because I hate all the tinkering and I just want it to work. If you are one of those types of people I suggest opening up the check book a bit and at least look at the Laguna.
    - Shane

Shenhui SH-G350 60W, Joe's 4x4 CNC, V-Carve, Corel, Mach3, Laserwork and tons of woodworking tools!

I actually was thinking about the shark. Or something similar.

Checking out the Shark again it looks like they have upgraded it a bit. The PRO HD package gets you up and running with Vcarve Pro included which is nice. You do have to supply your own router so it is going to be a couple of hundred over 4k not counting if you need a dedicated computer. I would also factor in addition $$ for hold downs and the touch plate. But check it out live if you can it looks like a good machine but videos can be deceiving.
    - Shane

Shenhui SH-G350 60W, Joe's 4x4 CNC, V-Carve, Corel, Mach3, Laserwork and tons of woodworking tools!

Owned a shark. Now I have a desktop bot. Shark has/does have a few problems (mostly flat table issues) but they can be worked out especially if you buy a small shark. The old adage of you get what you pay for holds true for CNC's. I will say I paid for my shark with in the first year. Will confess to loving my bot.

Romaxx makes a nice smaller format machine for about your budget. Every now and then he puts one up on eBay for a pretty good deal. The Shark was one at the top of my list for the longest time before I got serious. The more and more research I did the more I realized it is not going to suit my needs long term so I ended up building one. I would have ended up with the Romaxx if the table size would have been a bit larger.

I have been thinking about this and am seriously considering a Camaster Stinger 1. In fact, if I like their price and I can get my wife on board I will most likely order one. Which options should I get with it? James, do you have some recommendations on this for me?

I am on the highway, ask this on camheads.org there is a stinger owners section

I hope you don't get run over! . We need your knowledge around yet. I did register there but haven't posted yet. Just been reading.

David,

I own a Stinger II and I am very happy with the machine. You can't beat a CNC Router that has a welded frame.

Since you are looking to keep the price down buy your Stinger with a PC 3.25 HP router instead of a spindle.
    I really like Wincnc but you can save money by purchasing the Mach3 controller. Wincnc will make your life a bit easier if you can swing the extra money.
    Probably 99% of the people who already own CNC Routers wil tell you that your plans for the machine will expand big time once you own one.