Thread: Bradford pear wood

Bradford pear wood

Is this a good wood to turn. Just saw a facebook post from a friend who lost theirs already in this damn storm (hurricane Sandy). Looks like there is about 4 feet still standing in the ground to the first branch about 7 inches wide. Not a huge amount of wood but I figured I could make their kids something from it since they are going to miss the tree. I hear these trees fall early and split so I was wondering if is was a very stringy wood not good to turn??? Sadly I believe this storm is going to claim allot of trees that are not ready to be turned yet ...Thanks, John

John,

One of my favorite woods to turn. Not stringy at all. Cuts like butter...........
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Great to turn, finishes nicely, takes detail really well. Trivia: Much of MC Escher's work was prints from blocks carved in face-grain pear. He preferred face grain because it was available in larger pieces (and more affordable) than end-grain, which was the preferred orientation for detail carving.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

Never seen anything bad come out of BP...great wood!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I know it was popular in the 18 th century and some times ebonised and used for picture frames. Anyone know if it was also used natural color? I looked for info before and have not found much.

Just be sure to remove the pith in your work, because it checks like crazy when wet.

Bradford Pear is one of my favorites and I'll help cut down a tree for the wood. I did find some large trunks a couple of years ago and turned several large bowls. I have done some salad bowls recently that were sanded to 400 and then flooded with Grapeseed Oil or Walnut Oil a couple of times. This past weekend we had a family reunion and a 16.5"D x 7" H bowl was used for the salad. I had lots of compliments and requests after some kin saw the bowl. Just wish I could find more of the large diameter.

BP is also good for end grain boxes if you let the wood dry before turning. The shrink during drying makes turning boxes green almost out of the question. I have also seen limb wood used for stem goblets where the pith is off center and out of the stem.

Last work of caution - watch out for the sap slinging out of wet wood. It does not seem to rust everything like oak and other woods, but does have a little red to the stain.

Great wood to turn. Make sure the pith is out as was said.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks to all. The tree is at my Godsons house and I need to get up to see him for his birthday. I will help his dad cut it away and grab the trunk. Like I said it is not a big tree and it snapped off at about 4 foot off the ground. That 4 foot section is around 7 inches so I have some small bowl blanks and other small stuff. The rest is just 2 inch and smaller branches. Small tree that Sandy took to soon ...

Blog Entries
    No real damage up this way, as far as I can tell. Guess I won't be restocking my supply any time soon :-/
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Bradford pear is a great wood to turn. It turns easily and looks good.