Thread: Paper for Drum Sander

Paper for Drum Sander

I have a question for those who have drum sanders. For some reason I never noticed on the back of the paper are double arrows. Are these for direction of work head rotation or what? Any thoughts.

I don't know what they're for. I've used the paper both ways. Does not seem to make any difference. That I can see anyways. But I do need bifocals.

It seems arrows are there in case the roll will be joined into a belt (which is not the case with drum sanders), in which case one direction will put more stress on the joint than the other. Of course, when the manufacturer makes the paper, they don't know whether it will be used as a belt or not.

Large paragraph about a third down this page:

http://www.klingspor.com/ref_asktech...ingprocess.htm

The arrows indicate the direction the paper should turn on the drum. The paper is glued together like a flap and to put it on backwards the wood can grab the edge of the flap and peal the sandpaper apart.

It depends on the kind of joint. Most of the sandpaper you get will have butt joints on it and the direction is irrelevant. If you have NO joint (like on a drum sander) it's double irrelevant. It only matters if you have a lap joint. Most belts are simple butt joints. Pretty much any belt that's held together with tape is a butt joint.