Thread: Shoe Shelf/Rack/Cabinet, etc.

Shoe Shelf/Rack/Cabinet, etc.

My Shoe Shelf.jpg

After tinkering with a design in sketch up, I gave up and just added another level to one from the gallery. All my stock will have the same width and depth for simplicity's sake. I'm shooting for either Red Oak or Maple.

Question:
    What should be a good width and depth? I'm thinking 1 1/2 inch by 1 1/2 inch. I don't want it too look too skinny nor too fat.

It looks a little chunky to me. What are the overall dimensions?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    It looks a little chunky to me. What are the overall dimensions?
    My Shoe Shelf1.jpg

I'm limited by space. Coat hooks are above it. A doorway to the right and an opening door to the left. It's a tight hallway and SWMBO(Mother in this case) doesn't want it anywhere else.
    The height is accounting for 1 1/2 in stock. So that's 7+7+2+1.5+1.5+1.5=20.5 Is subject to change. The width and depth are what the space allows for and can't change.

I have to agree with Dave. The shelves look too think making the design a bit . . . well, it just doesn't look as good as it probably could. I'd shoot to cut the shelves in 1/2 thickness-wise. At this point, honestly, it looks pretty blah.
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

I'd cut the stock down to perhaps 1 in. square or maybe 3/4 in. all around. Actually, if it is going to be out in the open, I would change it a bit. You have no real resistance against racking in this design. Sketch soon if I can get to it.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 10-31-2012 at 5:04 AM.

Michael, check your PMs for a couple of sketches.