Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed on new Tool purchase

Advice needed on new Tool purchase

I’m trying to expand my arsenal of woodworking tools and I’m probably one of the few that has never owned a router table. In fact, I really never learned the many capabilities of a router (have an old cMan 1 ½ HP fixed base).

A new router and router table purchase has been on my short list for quite a while, and I’ve finally decided to make a decision and purchase. I’d really appreciate some advice from the knowledgeable router members.

I’ve been vacillating between a bench top (Bench Dog, Rockler, etc.), TS extension (Cast Iron or Melamine), or floor model (Rockler, Grizzly, etc.) table. Space is always an issue, but my workshop is in my garage and I could make room for a floor unit. From the features, the new Grizzly Sliding Table Router Table (C0528), looks great, but being a router novice, I don’t know if the sliding table feature is worth the additional cost.

I had zeroed in on the PC 890 2 ¼ HP as a router for dedicated table mount, but after reading a number of related threads on this board, I’m thinking that I should seriously consider the Hitachi 3 ¼ HP.

I know I’m starting to ramble and, currently, I don’t have any specific projects lined-up to give you an idea of what I’m planning to use this new tool for …. I feel the new capabilities presented by this tool combo will open up new and current project possibilities.

Any advice, suggestions or words of wisdom would be appreciated ….

Tom

Start here: www.patwarner.com

You can build a router table for about half what you will pay and it will be a better table. If you have a DC you will really appreicate a good table since the primary purpose of a router is to make dust, followed by everything else it does and a well thought out table and fence will help control 75% or more of the dust you create. There are a number of plans available, most, that I have seen, are a variation of the NYW table. As to a router, there are as many opinions as there are routers, but you might want to consider buying 2 or more since it is a real PITA to move the unit from table to other applications. I think a number of us have several (I just took delivery of a Festool 1400 [stelth gloat W/O pics] which brings my count to 4, one of which has two bases). Hope the foregoing opinions are more help than confusion.

i agree with cecil

i too have more than one router, and have the hitachi in a table, love it. had a 690 pc previously, and no comparison to the capabillties of the hitachi. the new table is take off from norms, my style is made for me. the top is phenolic and if i had to do it again would get a table or make one that would accept the woodpecker lift. check out there lifts with a alum table insert.. alot of choices but you will like having a table setup.. just a rednecks veiw on things
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!

I've had both portable and stand alone tables. The portable was usually clamped to my TS extension. I like the extra size of my standalone, but the portable was capable of most things I did. I often find it useful to have the TS setup and router table setup simultaneously. For example, remaking a rail or stile I dorked up. So, I would want it on the far end of my TS extension to still allow me to use most of the TS without losing the router setup.

The Hitachi would be the superior router for the table. But, it sounds like you could benefit from getting the one of the multi-base kits (like the PC890) and winding up with a nice handheld while you're at it. I used my Bosch 1617 fixed base from the kit in my table for a couple years before upgrading to a Hitachi.

My favorite insert plates are from Woodpeck. Their Al plate is real nice. It also gives you an upgrade path to a variety of lifts if you choose without changing your table opening. I'm sure their tables are nice also.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

I have had a Rockler table with a PC 690 in it for a while. I'm now on the hunt for a new router with the following features: soft start, variable speed, ability to raise and lower from the table top, easy to change collets and bits. I don't want to spend a fortune on it so I'll probably get the PC 895. I have no complaints about the Rockler table and I think it was well worth its cost. I used the table legs and made a cabinet out of plywood that fits under the router and I can store all my router accessories (except the bits) there. I also have a punge router separate from the table, but I rarely use it. I am much more likely to use the router in the table because it feels safer to me.

Have y'all looked at Pat Warner's page linked in first response to this thread?

Very interesting, he likes the MIlwaukee 5625 (3 1/2 horse) bolted directly to a table top, no plate, which, in exchange for one of the new high end lift plates, would essentially give you the router free! He doesn't like plunge routers in tables.

What do you think?

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Forman
    Have y'all looked at Pat Warner's page linked in first response to this thread?

Very interesting, he likes the MIlwaukee 5625 (3 1/2 horse) bolted directly to a table top, no plate, which, in exchange for one of the new high end lift plates, would essentially give you the router free! He doesn't like plunge routers in tables.

What do you think?

Dan
    My first two tables were insert-less. Although I didn't have the Milwaukee that can adjust right through the table, they still worked pretty well ... with one exception. That is the hole in the table. The hole you cut in the table is fixed in size (unless you make up some sort of reducers yourself). An insert like the woodpeck has reduction rings as part of the deal.
    The problem comes when you start spinning large panel raising bits. Once you cut that 3 1/2" hole, small parts are tough to deal with. You'll note that Pat suggests keeping the hole small and spin the big bits on your shaper. While it's a good idea, there is the small detail of the shaper .

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

My neighbor has the Bench Dog, and loves it. It is rated in alot of magizines as the best. I have a Tool Dock, with a Rouseu top on it, and works great. I run the PC 690 31/4 horse in it. Works fantastic. I have several routers as well. Also Norm Abrams has the plans for a table on his web site, it is very good. I will probably replace mine someday, and build his. Hope this helps!
    Michael and Sally Pfau
    Grant Creek Woodworks
    Missoula Montana
    www.grantcreekwoodworks.com

Bench Dog Top and lifter, PC 7518

I have a Bench Dog Fence, Top, PC7518, and BD lift. I built a Norm style table underneath it. If you go this route, it requires careful line up of the attach points between table top and base.

I really like my BD set up. If money is no option, go ahead and get the BD base and you will be in business faster. If money is tight, get the top and build the bottom.

Bench Dog products are expensive, but you get what you pay for. I believe that the quality of their products is worth it.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Tom, this is the router table that I bought, and I have been very satisfied with it. I put a Bosch 1619EVS router in it, and that too has been a great tool. It's very quiet and powerful. When you look at this page, I bought choice #1. Happy shopping.

RT-100SE Router Table

p.s. I bought my router table as opposed to building it because I needed to develop the skills needed to build one. I needed the table right away.
    "Be true to your work, your word, and your friend." -Henry David Thoreau

Like you, i did not own a router table but knew i wanted one. It took me no time to decide on the Hitachi (which is a great router BTW)...but it took 2 years to make the table desision. One day I just decided enough was enough and I searched out a plan and went to the borg and bought a piece of birch pluwood. I am just about done with it, waiting on the router switch to be backordered from rockler and then I need to build some drawers. Its a weekend project and if I can do it...anyone can.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=18143

Blog Entries
    One of the more enjoyable projects that I have done in/for my shop has been building my own router table. You can certainly build one for much less than you can buy one and it can be built much better. As for routers, I am on my second Hitachi M12V. Not because the first wore out, it was a gaff on my part and I burnt out the motor. There was no question about replacing it with the same model!!! In fact, the old one is STILL residing on my workbench. I just can't seem to part with the old girl.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Earlier I directed you to Pat Warner's sight, all router roads lead to Escondido. Now I'll tell you what I did, how I got there, and how I feel about it. (Briefly ).

1.Started with a melamine scrap for a top. Added BenchDog insert and mounted Bosch 1617. Added single piece pivoting fence. Got me something I could use.

2.Made a new table, 2 layers 3/4 MDF with laminate both sides, hardwood edging and previous insert. Made a new fence, split, out of 8020 extrusions. Stays square to the table when adjusting. Better Rig.

3. Bought a Hitachi M12V, Router Raizer, Alum BenchDog plate. Drilled plate for Hitachi and Raizer. Better Yet.

4. Made a new fence, split, from MDF and laminate, with DC, that allows for zero clearance inserts for various cutters ala CMT concept. Pivots for adjustment. Very nice, but too many holes in the insert and jointing requires shimming on the outfeed side. Not too hard but a screw type adjustment of the outfeed would be nice.

Two or three, or fifty, modifications and I will be satisfied. You may notice that at virtually no time did I take Pat Warner's advice. Maybe that is why I am still modifying the darn thing.

Did I mention that I bought 3 more routers in the meantime for handheld use?

Greg

I am following this thread with interest, as I am in the same boat and need to build a table. Pat Warner got my attention with that thing about not needing a mounting plate, a $200 - $300 expense.

Jay---What about making a tall fence similar to a tennon jig on a table saw, then using vertical panel raising bits? That would let one keep the hole small. Or how about interchangable tops, one with a larger bit opening if one was needed?

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome