Thread: Leigh D4 half blind DT question

Leigh D4 half blind DT question

I have a question for you concerning making half blind dovetails (flush) on the D4. I would like to have about 3/8" from the side piece pin to the front of the drawer face but in looking through the instruction manual I don't think that this is possible. It refers to a 1/8" clearance. I need the 3/8" to add a profile to the front of the drawer without exposing the dovetails. Is this possible? On previous projects I had to resort to using the CM dovetail jig and may have to do the same here but really wanted some experience with the D4 while I have the opportunity. The drawer front/side view should look somewhat like this when completed. Hope the picture comes out as this should answer any questions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Tempel; 04-20-2005 at 5:56 PM.

I hope I am understanding your question correctly.
    Not knowing what bit or wood thickness you are using. I am listing below the bit & front thickness combinations that should leave you a little over 3/8" between the pin & face.

Bit ---- Front Thickness
    128 ---- 13/16"
    120 ---- 7/8"
    101 ---- 1 1/16"
    80 ---- 1 3/16"

Sorry, the thickness is ~11/16". I am not sure what the bit number is that I am going to have to use as I don't have the instruction manual with me at the moment.

You should be able to do at you want, but another option you might consider is to use two pieces of wood. Use through dovetails for the inside piece, much easier to setup on the D4, and then glue or screw on the decoratively milled front piece. It looks like you are chamfering the edge right up to the dovetails so I doubt anyone would ever know you glued it up.

It shouldn't be a problem for half-blind DT's. The side of the drawer is cut with the piece held in the front, vertical, position. and the bit will extend about half an inch below the end of the wood.

The front of the drawer will be cut on the top (horizontal) part of the Leigh, with the face down on the jig's table. The bit setting will not change from what you use for the sides.

For you to have 3/8 or more above the depth of the dovetails, you'll need to use 5/4 stock for the drawer fronts.

If your front stock is thinner, then Simon's suggestion of a separate front piece, and thru-dovetails on thinner drawer stock would be the better way to go.