Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Completed Kitchen

Very nice work Matt!

I have a similar project in the next year or so.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Matt, Great job. I enjoyed watching this process go from design discussions to final completion.

Only surprise was that the white board in the closet didn't have an encrypted message on it for the creekers . . . . but this is a family friendly forum!

Great work Matt, I'd seriously consider outsourcing drawers on my next kitchen. I really dont like making drawers. BTW did you outsource all the raised panels besides the doors?
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Yes, same place did them all.

Very nice kitchen Matt. You should be very proud of your work! I enjoyed watching your design and project progress!

Jeff

A reputation for craftsmanship is a responsibility
    to never take lightly.

Success Matt. Looks great and I must believe that you and the Mrs. are really happy with your effort. 10 weeks is proof of your dedication and very good use of time and material. Happy Thanksgiving!
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Wow, there's a lot to be proud of there. That's a beautifully executed remodel from top to bottom!
    I'd like to see a pic of the island from outside the kitchen.
    Finally remembered to take this Bruce.
    Photo 2012-11-09 08.56.36 AM.jpg

I'm hoping to take care of one nagging little issue this evening--getting a matching faucet and RO water faucet. We've had a heck of time matching them. Hopefully 3rd time is a charm.

Incredible work, Matt. Love all the detail and how everything "fits" together.

Been working on my own kitchen and I know the wife is going to want to look at your pictures......... so I have a few requests:

1. Can you say that it took you about 2-3 years to do this?

2. Can you also report that it was well worth the money to purchase several tools, magazine subscriptions, and a new flat screen TV (for relaxing and unwinding purposes)?

I think that is it for now. Will see if I have more excuses I need you to cover later...........

Once again, though seriously, incredible work, outstanding end result. Hope you enjoy it for many years to come.

I don't think I ever made anything in 10 weeks, let alone a project of this magnitude. So congratulations on both the result itself and on how you got it accomplished.

Paul

Thanks for the pic Matt, the island looks great. That hunk of granite must’ve cost a few $$.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Sure did. Closing in on half way into the $$$$s actually almost 2 full slabs.

[QUOTE=Matt Meiser;2000434

Start to finish it took about 10 weeks, much reduced from what I'd planned due to buying the doors and drawers from Mid-Michigan Wood Specialties rather than making them myself.

[/QUOTE]

Hi Matt,

Very impressive project, and Im always in awe of how quickly you can turn a project from start to finish (and REALLY finish it, in detail).

A lot of threads on here about whether its cost effective to build your own cabinets. Sounds like this project crept towards more outsourcing than your prior build.

Any insights on economics and how it compares with purchased cabinets?

I'd estimate the whole job cost us in the neighborhood of what the "good" cabinets the Borg sells would run. That excludes the floor (and a couple tool purchases) but includes stuff like plumbing, paint, etc.

Thanks Matt,

The last quote I got from the borg was right at $20,000. Cabinets only. I dont think there are that many and it seemed high.

the timeline is another matter. Indeed, 10 weeks sounds about right........ for planning! I would need to budget something closer to a year.

Our planning started much, much earlier. A few years back, right after I finished my parents', we planned to do this project and had done a lot of the design. Then other stuff got in the way and we put it on hold. We've probably been discussing the design again since the beginning of summer on and off.

On the timeframe, It helps tremendously that I've done so many cabinet projects in the past and have been able to make shop improvements (which I haven't included in my kitchen cost) and work out a good workflow for me. I'll be starting on another, smaller, cabinetry project for my parents after the holidays. They are putting the finishing touches on a new first floor master suite project.