Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wixey Digital Planer readout

Wixey Digital Planer readout

Anyone here have or seen a Wixey Digital Planer readout? Woodcraft has them for 59.95. Was thinking of using one for the planer and one for the Performax.

Thanks Tom

I ordered a digital readout that I'm installing on the planer bed of my Mini Max J/P from Accurate/Digi-Kit. Their kit for the small planers runs $99, so the one you've identified at Woodcraft sounds like a nice deal.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Check out manufacturer's web site

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Prondzinski
    Anyone here have or seen a Wixey Digital Planer readout? Woodcraft has them for 59.95. Was thinking of using one for the planer and one for the Performax.
    Haven't seen it but I did notice that www.wixey.com offers them direct for the same price with free shipping. Also, there's a PDF of the owner's manual there, so you can get a better feel for the installation and use of it.

Mark

This is a pic of a Digital read out I use on my planer. I purchased it at a woodworking show. I can't find a brand name on it or the paper work.
    Last edited by Richard Wolf; 06-02-2005 at 9:58 PM.

So, what's the technology inside these things? What makes them work? (And the implied question, why should we believe their claimed specs for accuracy and resolution?)

These are built for the machine industry and while some are going to be more accurate than other, I was only looking for a better way to return to consistant sizes. I have not found them to be a problem. But I'm not building rocket parts.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    I ordered a digital readout that I'm installing on the planer bed of my Mini Max J/P from Accurate/Digi-Kit. Their kit for the small planers runs $99, so the one you've identified at Woodcraft sounds like a nice deal.
    Jim
    Do you know of anyone else putting one on a 300?

How often to you have to set the height? Once I would hope, at least between battery and Tersa blades changes.
    Michael in San Jose
    Non confundar in aeternam

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Perata
    Do you know of anyone else putting one on a 300?
    No, but it's been done before. Jim Strain was interested in learning how things work out, too.

How often to you have to set the height? Once I would hope, at least between battery and Tersa blades changes.
    I just unpacked it (received today) and am reading the manual "as we speak". (Will put some pics in my original thread shortly) The readout can be "locked" once you zero it to prevent accidental adjustments. Once that's done, it should be dead on. With the Tersas, it shouldn't matter with knife changes since they are no height differences...no sharpening!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Optical encoder

Fortunately, cheap digital readouts for machinery are now commonplace. Many folks who have Taiwanese mill-drills buy these cheap DRO's (digital read out) for indicating quill depth. I plan to put one on my mill-drill. Really, they can be hooked between any two objects that move relative to each other.

Go to ebay and search for DRO.

I think they work just like my digital micrometer- as the head moves relative to the shaft, a pinion gear rotates along the rack gear on the shaft. The pinion turns a very precise rotary shaft encoder, which feeds an embedded processor which drives the display. They have gotten these things down to an accuracy of < 1/1000" for $50 these days.

I've been thinking of adding DRO to the elevation of my SCMI slider TS that I am reconditioning. I would need the type with a remote display tho.

My only concern with these on a planer, as in the photo above, is the possibility of whacking it with a timber that you are wrestling into the planer, or generally bumping in to it and breaking/bending it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    With the Tersas, it shouldn't matter with knife changes since they are no height differences...no sharpening!
    I knew that, I really did!
    Michael in San Jose
    Non confundar in aeternam

Talking digatal read out

I think it will be great I am going to get one one of these days. Mike

Wixey Digital Readout

Here's a Wixey being installed on DW-735
    http://www.huisinga.org/gallery/view...lbumName=Wixey

13. Wink

.... Noted, thanks .
    Every man’s work is always a portrait of himself.

I think DRO's are great. I have one on my router lift and think it's fantastic.

The thing I don't understand, however, is how to zero it out on a planer. Will a planer allow the knives to make contact with the table/bed? And if so, it would seem very easy to damage the blade.

Perhaps these don't get zeroed out on a planer, but a piece of stock of known thickness is placed in the planer and the knives are moved into contact with the stock. This would require the DRO be able to be dialed in to something other than a reading of zero though, and I have never seen that in a DRO.

How do these work?
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Question read out

I have had my 735 planer blades sharpened will that make it still work.Mike