Thread: Wooden Military Service Seal Source Needed

Wooden Military Service Seal Source Needed

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I posted this over on the General Woodworking forum a few hours ago, but it's getting pushed to the bottom with no responses very quickly. So I thought I'd try over here on this board.

First some background. I've been requested to build a "military mailbox" to go in my church's gathering space. The idea is to create a means for parishioners to be able to send a postcard or letter to one of our enlisted guys (we have 5 at the moment). A mother of one of the enlisted guys has agreed to be responsible for picking up the letters and seeing that they actually make it to the intended recipient. I have created a plan for a box that will have 6 separate slots across the top, one for each guy plus a spare. The letters will be retrieved through a front panel that folds open to allow access to each of the individual spaces. This panel will be approximately 6” high x 25” wide. On the front of this panel, I would like to attach 5 wooden military service seals, one for each branch. Since I am planning to use cherry for the project, I would like the seals to be cherry or similar so that they could be finished to closely match. I'm not planning to paint or decorate them since I would like more of an understated effect. I'd like for each seal to be around around 4" to 5" in diameter so they would fit nicely on the front panel.

Now my problem. I've looked on the web and can't find a source that has seals this small. There are a few companies that make them out of wood, but they tend to be larger for sign purposes (8" or larger). Does anybody know of a source that sells what I'm looking for?

I would really like to end up with a relief carving/3D effect. But as a plan B, my local Woodcraft has a laser engraver. I know this wouldn't provide the dimensional depth I'm looking for, but maybe it would be OK. Does anyone have any experience using their service? If so, could you share your opinion regarding the feasibility of this option and anything that I should be aware of?

I appreciate the help. Thanks.

Charlie

Charlie,

A laser will work fine. If properly run you can achieve the 3D effect you are looking for. I do a lot of work for our local military bases and sadly also memorials. I especially present 3D emblems for the memorials.

Just have your local service be patient and the results will be fine.
    Doug
    For all that I know there is so much more to learn.

Yes I have lasered many tiles with each of the service seals you can make the seal any size you want mine run about 5". I would have been happy to do this for you but my lasers down at the moment, maybe someone else could do it for you Theres a website were you can download all the seals in vector files so that makes it easy. I don't know if I'm allowed to do this but heres the link for the seal files
    http://www.defense.gov/multimedia/web_graphics/#whs

Blog Entries
    Try this place I found looking for "carved military emblems". They appear to have 6" size, but also indicate they do custom work. Might be a bit pricey for what you are doing.

This guy seems to have the capability to cnc carve what you need.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 12-16-2012 at 8:33 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Military Mailbox Update

Good Evening and Merry Christmas,

I thought that I would post an update on my quest for military seals since I have a few minutes before we go to church tonight. I ended up going with a local guy that does laser engraving as a side business to his cabinet shop. I'm very pleased with the results, but I would change a few minor things on the art work the next time to make less clean up after the fact. This mail (drop) box will be going up in our church gathering space in the next week or so, but I shot a few pictures in our kitchen to give you an idea of the end product. FYI, the seals are trademarked so I had to obtain permission from all 5 branches which was much easier than I expected. Thanks for the suggestions by the way.

Charlie
    Attached Images Attached Images

Before you use ANY of the military seals, be sure to clear it through the Office Of Heraldry. I was working on a similar project, and have been officially informed that ALL of these seals are copywrited, and protected by law. They do have several options to license the use, so it can be done easily and relatively inexpensively, but if you get caught using them without permission, it is a Federal violation, and can result in some right stiff penalties, not the least of which is a lifetime ban on further use! Below is the link you will need. Hope this helps you stay out of trouble!
    The Institute of Heraldry | Home

By the way . . . There is an alternative to doing the whole licensing process. Find a service that has already done the licensing, and pay a one time use for the file they have had pre approved and licensed. I think the accuracy of the reproduction in the primary concern of the Government. They want to make sure these seals and such get recreated with accuracy. My files are still only at 97%, but I hope to pass the review next time I submit.

Here is a company I found that has already done the extensive work of setting up the art for quality 3d laser engraving. I'm sure they have already paid the licensing etc, so you would be way ahead of the game. I havnt used their product yet, but I understand that it is Very good.
    http://www.gantryco.com/patriotic-3d...engraving.html

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Aylward View Post
    Before you use ANY of the military seals, be sure to clear it through the Office Of Heraldry. I was working on a similar project, and have been officially informed that ALL of these seals are copywrited, and protected by law. They do have several options to license the use, so it can be done easily and relatively inexpensively, but if you get caught using them without permission, it is a Federal violation, and can result in some right stiff penalties, not the least of which is a lifetime ban on further use! Below is the link you will need. Hope this helps you stay out of trouble!
    The Institute of Heraldry | Home
    Sorry Kevin, I should have mentioned that I did seek and receive permission from all 5 military branches before starting the project. There is a central Government web site that provides all of the contacts and their email addresses. It was actually much easier than I expected it to be. Thanks for mentioning this key point.

Here's the address for reference: http://www.defense.gov/trademarks/

Charlie

Blog Entries
    Good on you Charlie! You're is truely a noble project! Making mail call better for the folks down range has got be one of the coolest things ever.

Mike