Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Church Podium/Lectern

Church Podium/Lectern

I have been asked to build a lectern for my church. It is a small church and the space is used for several purposes and so the lectern needs to be light enough to be moved around (50# or less). They also want some space under the work surface for storage (if possible). Are there any ideas people might be willing to share? I want this to be a piece that will be around for a while. Thank you in advance for sharing!

What sort of style does the church and its current furniture have? Do you have any photos of the inside of the sanctuary?

I don't have a picture right now but most of the wood is a honey stained Oak. I would like to stay in the same theme but I would also like to add some contrasting colors for appeal.

A furniture style would be a big help.

It is a traditional/quaker style. Originally a Baptist church built in the 60s. However, it is now a small Bible Church. I am hoping for the design to be simple but unique. More than just a "reading surface on a stick". I don't feel the need to match the style other than the basic wood being used.

Alright. Here's the first one off the top of my head. You could do a frame and panel sort of thing. Do you want it more decorative/fancified? If you want me to continue, I might be able to come up with some other ideas.

Dave - I really appreciate your ideas and yes, I would like to continue to think through this with you. I do like the design and curves you have incorporated. Let's keep that in mind but I also wanted to get your thoughts on design options if the upright support was more of a single but sturdy pedestal. I'm sorry that I can't draw this out as you have so skillfully done. My thought here is the possibility of being able to move it around easier. What do you think?

Well, I don't think what I've drawn would be difficult to move around but let me see what else I can come up with. Would you do a turned pedestal or something not turned?

I don't have have the ability to do a turned pedestal. Maybe some joinery that would create a box shape or perhaps a "v" shape might work as well. I look forward to seeing your ideas. You are light years ahead of what I could come up with. Thank you again!

I need to step away to take care of some things but I will check back in when I return. Thank you again for your assistance. This is so helpful and I look forward to building something that is attractive and will be a round for a good while.

Todd, it will probably be a little while, now. I have some ideas but I need to arrange them so they can be built. I'll post something as soon as I can.

Todd, here's another quick sketch. This one keys off your sturdy pedestal comment.

I've got a couple of other ideas brewing. They need to steep a little while.

I really like this Dave. I think this is along the lines of what we are looking for as long as you feel that it can be constructed with good stability. I am open to other thoughts you have as well. Also, any suggestions on construction techniques, wood types, etc.

Great! Todd, I realize it looks like the thing might tip over but the base is directly under the top. I think the base needs a little revising but it's close. Do you want me to quite with the design options?

Since I almost had another version roughed out I decided to post it.