Thread: Dyeing ca glue

Dyeing ca glue

Has anyone ever had any luck dyeing CA glue?
    Maybe just another stupid idea.

It didn't work well for me...but I was using aniline(?) dye in alcohol. Maybe your application could use epoxy that dyes easier?

Someone will probally invent some and then their will be multiple colors. Until then I don't see it happening. At least not very good right now.

Starbond has been selling brown and black CA for years. I have added a bit of powdered aniline dye to medium CA a few times.
    Bill

I have added different color fillers before but have never had any luck actually dying CA glue.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

CA doesn't do well with dye. I have tried several different dyes and it was a flop.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

It might help Kevin if we knew exactly what you were after...you got my wheels turning!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I use powdered aniline dyes with no problem. They just mix in as a powder, no water, no alcohol. I have done the same with epoxy also. I have added wood sanding dust as a filler. Adding black will result in basically a black paint. It will not be transparent but opaque.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

I've mixed artist oil paint (oil based oil, not acrylic oil) in epoxy and used it as a filler. You can also thin epoxy with DNA. Although after mixing, I personally would not trust it's bonding properties.

Hello Jim, It might help Kevin if we knew exactly what you were after...you got my wheels turning!

I have some OAK BURL that has some small checks and if I filled these with a little color I think that
    it would dress up the finished product. Straight CA worked well it is just a thought.