Thread: powermatic 3520B question

powermatic 3520B question

DSC05350.jpgGreetings All,
    I have a friend whose young son died leaving him with a powermatic 3520B which is labeled 3 phase.
    He would like to dispose of this almost unused beauty and I would like to know IF "phase" can be changed on the lathe. Like switching from 110 to 220 by changing a couple of wires,on some of my old stuff?
    Thanks for all replies.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Plant a tree, help it grow, children need something to climb.

The motor is going to be 220 volt and works on a single phase power. I creates it's own third hot leg. I am not sure if it can be made 110 volt very easy. I am sure someone will chime in and state for sure.

Like Russell said, that's a stock 220V 2HP motor. There's an inverter box on the back of the headstock that creates the required phases for the motor. Don't muck with it! Just have him advertise it as a 220V single phase 2HP lathe, because that's what it is and what it needs.

Russell, am surprised you're not asking for the guy's phone number...
    Steve \o/
    Dynamite With A Laser Beam LLC
    Epilog Helix 75W/Epilog Fusion Edge 80W and Jet 1642-EVS2

Norris, very sorry for your friend's son...that sounds tragic and I certainly hope the best for his family dealing with the loss.
    I think Steve represented it well and it's not something that I think would be rewired for 110V in most situations (if even possible) as there wouldn't be enough amperage rating for the typical 110V circuit alone to carry the loads were it 'switchable'.
    I'd let him know that a fair price, in my opinion, on this lathe would be about $3000 bundled with a chuck and original stuff supplied with the lathe. Any extras just tack on or sell separately.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

An excellent lathe with a huge following, and good resale value, as in it won't sit long. You might try to find the nearest woodturning club and contact them. Sorry about the loss of your friend's son. Hope the lathe finds a good home.

robo hippy

If you are asking because the motor says it is 3 phase, I wouldn't worry about it. All these lathes have 3 phase motors and onboard VFDs so they can be variable speed. So, they run off single phase 220. No need to switch anything out... Now, if for some reason, this lathe actually runs off 3 phase, that is a different question...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Norris,

Sorry to hear about your friend losing his son. Nothing could be more difficult to bear IMHO.

I have a PM3520B and it operates on 220vac. Just for kicks, I went to the Powermatic website, checked the online owners manual and was stunned to find the current PM3520B can be wired to function with either 220 single phase or 3 phase. There is even instructions and drawings to wire it for 3 phase.

I don't think it will operate on 120 vac.

Now I want to check the owner's manual for my PM3520B and see if the Variable Fequency Driver (VFD) will allow it to run on 3-phase. I don't have 3-phase power. I am just curious.

Your friend should have no problems selling that lathe.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Not to hijack, but how did he lose his son?
    - prashun

Most VFD's will take either single phase or 3 phase input. You remove the tie in/jumper that would supply the manufactured 3rd leg with voltage and instaed feed it the real third leg of the three phase and everything else works like normal.
    Greg

The young man was 28 had been doing missionary work in Afghanistan, came home developed brain tumor. Never got to put all his tools to work.
    God Bless US All.
    Plant a tree, help it grow, children need something to climb.

Man that's real sad, 28 is no age!