Thread: First time builder need some tips on building a desk.

First time builder need some tips on building a desk.

I'm a first time builder and I'm going to be attempting some carpentry. I'm very much into technology and this is going to be integrating woodwork with electrical work. I will be making a corner horse shoe desk that stands around 5'0-5'6 tall. I'm not sure why type of plywood would be good. I was reading about people gluing 3/4'' and 1/2'' to it doesn't bend. What steps should I take to make sure the desk will not break? I'm also considering using metal as support beams to hold the bottom piece and middle and top. Also going to be using a THIN piece of plywood in the back. Will also be running blue LED lights with a switch board on the inside so I can control them with a flip of a switch... Its my first project which seems like a lot to take on for my first one. After I get off of work today I'll make a sketch on how it will work the electrical and the blue prints (Since i'm new to all of this it will be done on a notebook piece of paper not grid paper.

Any tips will help!

Thanks guys

Michael

Will be able to tell more with the sketch. The type of plywood would depend largely on what you want the finished product to look like, whether it will be stained or painted. Also it may need to go with other furniture so that may influence the type of wood used. It may be unnecessary to make the shelves 1 1/4" thick. More than likely under heavy weight, a strip of hardwood 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" wide on the front is enough.

I am one who is very happy to help anyone along the course of learning to be a woodworker. I think many, if not all of the folks on this forum share my enthusiasm for sharing knowledge and engaging in the exchange of ideas. BUT, please, you owe it to us, and to yourself to buy a few books and/or read a few magazines and search through and study the information available on forums such as SawMill Creek to get some basic understanding and parameters before engaging us in a long discussion of how to do something as ambitious as this, your first project.

You are posting for the first time and I do not want to discourage you but these questions are discouraging to me. Show us a good sketch and have some basic understanding of materials and ideas how to assemble and I assure you we will overwhelm you with too much information as to how to improve your design and achieve the best results. My comments are mine alone. I hope you don't miss my point. Even this post is intended to be helpful.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Good call again Sam. I agree maybe, as juvenile as it may seem, you should start with a simple stool or even a box. Not that you can't build your desk soon, but I think you would be greatly helped in that endeavor by putting a few pieces of wood together so that you can start to have a feel for what you think looks good in a joint and what doesn't. Glueing, clamping, mitering vs butt joints vs etc can be attempted on a simple throw away project without messing up a bunch of nice material in the process.

Glad you've been bitten by the wood bug, it's a wonderful and incredibly fulfilling way to spend your efforts

I made a corner desk 6 feet tall with shelves and lights for my computer with all the bells and whistles, and I still regret it. I use it every day but it is just too big.

Jim Tolpin recommends in one of his books to build a mock-up out of cardboard or styrofoam first, full size. That way you can make sure it looks about right for the space and that you can get it into the room.

Welcome to the creek Mikey. Hope you find the help you are looking for.