Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introduction

Introduction

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd post an introduction here on the Creek. I've been visiting for quite awhile now. I mostly post over on Woodworkingtalk.com, but as I've transitioned to hand tools I've found much more information on this site then on that site. I plan to participate more here so I thought I'd let you know a little about me.

I have been woodworking about 6 or 7 years now. I started with all power tools like a lot of people. I then started to transition to hand tools for a lot of my work. I really enjoy the peacefulness of hand work, the finished product, and especially creating joinery with hand tools. Do to limited time as a part time hobbyist I still thickness my work and rip my work via electrical means, but I try very hard to keep the rest with hand tools. I have a mix of old tools and new. I love Veritas tools and have several of their saws, they plow, marking gauge and several other smaller items. I sharpen with Norton water stones. My prefered projects are furniture for my friends and family and I usually use red oak because of its abundance around my area (Sioux Falls, SD).

I also appreciate all the effort that I've seen in the posts here. They are very informative and I've learned so much already. I look forward to being a more vocal member of the community.

Your new friend,

Adam Petersen

Blog Entries
    Adam,

Welcome to the Creek.

Your post mentions you are in the Sioux Falls, SD area. It might be good for you to include this on your profile page. I will maybe remember this information for a while, next year it may slip from my memory.

I wish oak were more plentiful around here.

Most of my projects are made of pine or construction lumber.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Of particular note, the contributions of our very own Derek Cohen from Perth, FWA.

I've found his site invaluable. http://www.inthewoodshop.com/
    I also refer regularly to the podcast of Bob Rozaieski at the Logan Cabinet Shoppe.
    http://www.inthewoodshop.com/

Regarding thicknessing lumber, I'm now buying lumber that's milled - preferentially.
    It's cheaper, over the long haul and I don't dedicate garage space to a rarely
    used tool.

Please show us a project, as it comes available.

Blog Entries
    Adam,

Have you look in on the Neanderthal wisdom/FAQ section of Neanderthal Haven?

There is lots of information on many subjects to be found there.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Welcome, Adam....

There's lots of good folks and good info here.. and our opinions are like noses, everbody has one. The great thing is that you *will* hear different opinions and different approaches.. so you can determine what is best for you. I look forward to your posts!!

Jim in Alaska
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Welcome!

Agreed, hand tools are much more relaxing, and the joinery is, in a sick way, fun and enjoyable. It's awesome to be able to fiddle with a few things, take out some tools, and 30 minutes or an hour later have a complex joint that's just as strong (if not stronger) than what can be made with a machine *and* it has that awesome hand-made look.

Advice from one neanderthal to another. . .

Keep all digits behind and out of the way of anything metal, shiny, and/or heavy. I prefer not to answer as to why I know this.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Hello everyone, I am new here.

Welcome to both of you!

Blog Entries
    Howdy Liza,

Welcome to the Creek. Your profile doesn't indicate your location. Where do you call home?

jtk

Blog Entries
    Welcome Adam and Liza!

I hope you find a lot of value here. Some of us are purists. Others not as much.

Each of us has something to offer in our own way and own focus. As a contrarian here, I think you'll find a spirited discussion, debate, (and disagreement) here. Generally, it is very respectful. Some love the tools. Some like the history and connection to a simpler time. Some like the slower pace. And some like the projects they create. You'll need to find your own path. Some are beginners. Some have forgotten more than many will know. Those who desire to learn can find expert teaching here.

Me, I am an unappologetic blended or hybrid woodworker. I'll inconvenience electrons as I find fit but do the bulk of my joinery by hand. I am no tool collector and don't seem to suffer from tool acquisition syndrome. I have the rattiest workshop and bench compared to most. I do design and build things however. Jump on in.

Again welcome!
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Blog Entries
    Some like the history and connection to a simpler time.
    Lately my thoughts on "a simpler time" have led me to believe it wasn't all that simple.

Back then everyday was a fight for survival. Now everyday is a fight for the remote.

Just ramblings in my brain...

jtk

Adam,
    I thought I would post a disclaimer . . . errrr . . . I mean . . . a welcome.

As far as projects I make tools so I can make more tools so I can make the tools I want.
    I don’t lay around on the couch like this all the time . . . some times I lay the other way.
    I have a strong dis like of cats though I started out giving them the benefit of the doubt.
    I don’t actually shoot them out of catapults though there are times . . .
    . . . or be mean to them in any other way . . . I wouldn’t allow one of the filthy things to come into my house though. I made that mistake a couple of times. I’m not prejudice, it is just the way they stand and rake in the cat box and then walk on the kitchen counters that kind of turns me. It's my problem . . . I’m in therapy for it . . . it is a new branch of science though apparently based in old traditions . . . I think my therapist calls it Egnortafax therapy or something like that.

Kidding
    Come onnnnnn
    I am not actually crazy . . . though some of my favorite authors may have been.
    Douglas Adams tends to really freak out some people.
    Queenmasteroftheuniverseandbabybunnytrainer being one of them. That’s SWMBO for short and sooooo much more.
    I once told her “No matter what happens to me and no matter how bad it gets if you feed me home made chocolate cake (extra frosting) while reading to me from any one of the Douglas Adams books I will come around.”
    She said “Dog . . . that’s too bad”.

I try very hard to keep the rest with hand tools

Just relax your grip and let it flow. ( I have )

I love Veritas tools and have several of their saws, they plow, marking gauge and several other smaller items. I sharpen with Norton water stones.
    Your in !
    You’re alright by me.
    Guys . . . he’s cool . . . he said the pass words . . . let him in . .
    . . .
    hey aaaaa . . . quit fooling around . . . open this door . . . guys ? ? ? ?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 01-21-2015 at 3:08 PM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Blog Entries
    I tend to agree. There is a natural prediliction to think of those before us as leading a simpler life.

People before us were limited (relative to us in 2015) in their primary education, technology, and secondary (at adulthood) eeducation / learning. I hypothosize that people before had a complex life to juggle the multitude of their daily tasks, familial duties, and trade. This, with depth that fewer us us have today.

They were certainly as intelligent though less educated than we are. Things we take for granted (not having to haul water, wood, modern plumbing, etc) were significant portions of their overall working day. Additionallly, they had limits on the ways to garner information and learning. Tradespeople had their apprentice-ship to get great depth of learning in their field but there wasn't broad availabilty of learning once you were an adult. The complexity in their lives around how much of their labor in a task sense was devoted to just "living." Add to that, the depth in trade expertise, and you have a pretty complex life.

Much of this depth of learning in woodworking is what we are trying to learn.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I prefer to think of the artisans of the past as no different than we are. They lived, worked, and died in an uncertain world, just like us. They faced violence from organized foes (theirs the native americans, ours the various militant religious terrorist organizations). They faced the possibility of death by disease outbreak (theirs smallpox, ours ebola, H1N1, etc.). They had bills to pay, children to raise, futures to plan for, just like we do now.

I think if we look to make generalizations about "simpler times" or "things were slower back then", we miss out on a lot. We rob the people of the past of a large part of their humanity, and we are poorer for it.

Welcome to the Creek, Adam.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Hello everyone, I am new here.
    Liza,
    only one new member a year
    go away

Kidding
    This place sure could use women. I enjoyed seeing projects and conversing with women in the FWW chatroom for years. Fascinating. You may be the only one of three here and the other two rarely say any thing.

The people here really know their stuff ! This is the real deal.

Glad to have you join us.
    Welcome !

(I got to comb my hair and there must be a clean apron around here some where . . .)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.