Thread: Have questions about building a humidor. (New here and to working with wood)

Have questions about building a humidor. (New here and to working with wood)

Hello, I am new here and to wood working in general. To be as clear as I can the most I've done with wood is saw a board and put a nail in it.

I enjoy a good cigar and am a member of a few clubs. I've got a humidor but it's not that great and I got the idea that I could build a better one. I'd also like to build a few for my buddies if possible.

I've seen some beautiful humidors here that others have built. Dare I say they are works of art. That being said, I don't just want to build a box with some spanish cedar on the inside I would like to build something that looks elegant BUT I have zero knowledge of wood working.

I've ordered a couple of books on basic box making that should be helpful but I've got some questions and need some recommendations.

1. My thoughts are to use some type of exotic hard wood. I went to a woodcraft place today and looked at some wood. It seems after talking to the folks there I am going to need a planer and jointer and a table saw. I was thinking I could use a router and table saw. What would your recommendations be for equipment? I thought about using rabbit joints which would I think require a router or table saw.

2. When I was looking at the wood they didn't have very many wife pieces. I was just thinking I would use a single piece of solid wood for my top and drop it in to my rabbit joints but he guy at the store said I would probably have to book match a single piece of smaller wood. Can't I find a larger piece and then maybe plane it down to what I need?

Obviously I'm going to need to invest in equipment but I'm just not wanting to buy something I don't.

3. If I were to figure out the cuts and lengths of wood I would need is there a place that would cut it, joint it and plane it for me then ship it? I don't need a huge amount and I'm wondering if this would be a good way to go till I could purchase all the equipment I needed.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Paul

Paul,
    You're embarking on a long journey here. I'd recommend that you seek out a local woodworking club, or take a class or two at your woodcraft store. I have no experience with any of these classes but why not approach one of the instructors about teaching you a class on building a humidor? Or just find a class on making boxes. Hope this helps! Jeff

Not a bad idea. Thanks..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    Paul,
    You're embarking on a long journey here. I'd recommend that you seek out a local woodworking club, or take a class or two at your woodcraft store. I have no experience with any of these classes but why not approach one of the instructors about teaching you a class on building a humidor? Or just find a class on making boxes. Hope this helps! Jeff
    Good advice. Check out Doug Stowe's video on box making. Watch all of Marc's video at the woodwhispererdot com. A humidor is a pretty intense project to start on. Keep posting and asking questions. Lots of good info here at the Creek.