Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Miter saw bench--minimum left and right clearance?

If you have multiple tools that would benefit from having the long wings left and right, you could do something similar to what I did. If I were to do this again, I might not make the tools on rolling stands, but make inserts that would all drop in and be at the correct working level. I mainly use this for my SCMS and Planer, but the RAS will also roll into this spot, My Kreg will drop in, and I plan a drop in down draft sanding table and drop in shelf for the scroll saw eventually. The wall is 23' + long and the center cut out for the tools is 3', so I think I measured 10'2" on each side. Could easily have made it longer on one side, but figured that would work best. When using the portable Delta planer, I get absolutely no snipe. I think this is the benefit of having the long infeed/outfeed tables. DSCN1655.jpg DSCN1935.jpg dscn2006.jpg The one screw up in rehabbing the outside shell of the shop building is the windows at either end of the tables. They were supposed to be at a level that if I had longer boards, I could open the windows, take the screens off and let the wood poke through. Was off by about 4". But I've never had a reason to need to do it...so far. Jim.
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 11-14-2012 at 10:15 AM.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Pretty fancy there Jim!

Blog Entries
    I just use a Milwaukee 10" MS. I remove it frequently to use offsite or to loan to may son for a quick project. My shop is tight but I can easily offcut 4' to the right and extend to the left out the shop door 12 feet if needed. I had to angle it to clear the door jamb. (I have updated the dust hood since this pic)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    Pretty fancy there Jim!
    You know the drill about needs and limitations driving the design. Limited space, multiple tools. It was a natural progression. Just wish I had the room to park the tools when they aren't needed. The RAS sits in a place by the big doors that it's easy to slide sheet goods off the van and it holds up one side for me. Then doubles as a partial infeed table for said sheet goods to break down on the TS. It's a must when there isn't anyone to help with full 3/4" MDF sheets!!! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.