Thread: Too Many?

Too Many?

I have been turning almost daily for a few weeks and haven't taken the time to post any pictures and now I have a few too many pieces to post but thought I'd show a few anyway.

Thanks for looking and as always C & C welcome.

The first is a Japanese Prune Plum NE Hollow Form with a 'mystery' wood finial. Its about 6 1/2" wide and 8 1/2 tall. Finish is shellac and spray on Lacquer (rattle can). I know the finial is too fat for the piece and am working on several others but wanted to include this picture anyway.
    DSC_7193.jpg

This one is a Cherry Hollow form c/w mystery wood finial. I produced this one to donate to a local auction to assist with a charity fundraising. It is 4 1/2 wide and 7 1/4 tall. Painted with acrylics, pyro around the ribbon detail and finished with spray on Lacquer (rattle can)
    DSC_7195.jpg

Here is another Cherry Hollow form dyed green with a black finial again made from mystery wood it is about 5 1/2 by 8 1/2. Finished with about 12 coats of WOP and buffed with the Beale System.
    DSC_7265.jpg

This is a cherry vase finished with Walnut Oil (a first for me), it is about 5" x 5 1/4".
    DSC_7271.jpg

This the last item for this post is a small spalted Birch Bowl finished with Beeswax and Mineral Oil it is about 6 1/2 x 3.
    DSC_7273.jpgDSC_7275.jpg
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Pete, I like all of these pieces, especially the lidded vessels. I'm gonna have to try some like that. Nice work!

Toby

What kind of acrylic paint did you use on your hollow form?

Very nice!

All of your turnings are excellent. Each has a nice form and finish. Well done!

With regard to your plum natural edge piece, I think I'd like it with a very small knob as the lid's handle rather than a tall, more formal, finial. The knob, being lower than the natural edge rim, would draw in the viewer. Inviting him or her to lift off the lid and look inside. Besides, the finial's formality seems to not go as well with the rough bark edge and rustic aspect of the turning as would a simple, small, knob. Of course, I reserve the right to change my mind once you've glued the knob in place!

And to answer your question: As with chucks, there's never too many!
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Hi Montgomery.
    I just use cheap acrylic Craft paints same as I used when I used to carve and paint decoys.

Quote Originally Posted by Montgomery Scott View Post
    What kind of acrylic paint did you use on your hollow form?
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *

Those are all nice. I agree with David on a knob vs a finial. I think it would look nicer. But I'd give it shelf space either way!
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

I like the cherry vase best. The birch bowl is also very nice. It has a pleasing shape and the wood adds interest.

Ok, so here are the rest of the latest group. Sure hope I'm not totally boring all of you.

Here are a couple of shots of the largest Japanese Plum bowl I have done (8 1/2 x 2 1/4) most of the wood from these trees is smallish in diameter. It is as most of my pieces 'twice' turned. I left the oval rim and finished it with beeswax and mineral oil. The pictures do not do it justice.
    DSC_7276.jpgDSC_7277.jpg

Here are two shots of a shallow Cherry bowl(9 x 1 1/2) with beautiful feather in the bottom. This piece was finished with 4 coats of BLO.
    DSC_7278.jpgDSC_7279.jpg

These are the last of this series. A Cherry platter(11 1/2 x 1) with bark etc left around the perimeter. It is also finished with 4 coats of BLO. Hard to see in the photo of the front are the three tiny beads (thanks to Dave at Dway tools).
    DSC_7280.jpgDSC_7281.jpg

Thanks for looking!!!
    Pete

Great pieces Peter. Been busy.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I'm not much of a green color type of guy but that green dyed cherry is just wonderful.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Great assortment you've got there. All the pieces look nice!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?